[il-talk] our upcoming State Legislative Breakfast

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Mon Dec 22 09:10:50 UTC 2008

On March 12th, 2009, the NFBI will be inviting our legislature to have
breakfast with about ten of our members.  We will be renewing and
strengthening our relationship with the legislature, and will be bringing to
their attention, some issues that were the subject of convention
resolutions.  Those issues include the failure of the Illinois Department of
Education to adopt rules to assure that those who teach blind teachers can
adequately use and teach Braille.  We will also discuss the quiet cars
issue, and will propose state legislation that would lead to a sound
standard so long as there is no effort undertaken nationally.

There will be much work the Legislation Committee and others will need to
undertake to make this initiative a success.  Among that work will be
inviting legislators or those they may designate to attend the breakfast,
preparing materials they can discuss with us and take with them, contacting
those who don't attend, and following up regarding the initiatives we
propose.  the Legislative Committee will be providing more information and
guidance after the holidays as to how you can assist in this important
initiative.  We are hopeful that many of you will be able to take part, and
to learn much about the legislative process.

Bill Reif and Mary Grunwald, co-chairs
NFBI Legislative Committee