[il-talk] Help?

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 01:06:20 UTC 2008

As for the Free Matter Program, my experience is that it works for most
countries, but you are supposed to be sending either Braille materials or  4-track
cassettes, or in the alternative, you are or represent a nonprofit
organization or government agency sending educational or academic materials to a  blind
recipient.  There needs to be at least one Braille aspect of the  package,
even if it is labels on the cassettes or a cover letter of sorts in  Braille.
The NLS, for example, regularly sends Talking Books to students  who study
abroad, and the NFB sends information and materials to international  members Free
Matter.  You'll need to check with your post office to see  which countries
do not possess an international mailing agreement with the  U.S.  I believe New
Zealand, as Debbie said, and a few of the former USSR  countries are among
them.

The other option, of course, is to just send them on and stamp the package
Free matter and hope it works.  Since you're sending Free Matter, your  items
won't be signature upon receipt or unsured anyway.  If it doesn't  work, you'll
get the package back, provided you put a return address on  it.

Good luck.

Yours,
Ronza

In a message dated 11/7/2008 4:58:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,