[il-talk] Fw: braille article

JOSEPH MONTI jlmonti at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 13 13:24:33 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 4/13/09, JOSEPH MONTI <jlmonti at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: JOSEPH MONTI <jlmonti at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: braille article
To: il-talk at nfbnet.org
Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 7:44 AM

hi folks, i hope everyone got a chance to read or listen to the article in the Tribune about braille. our president ms. chang was interviewed.i think parents are the main reason children don't learn braille. i was taught braille at the age of six. by second grade i could type  it quickly. i also could read it visually and this is where parents get in the way. instead of staying with braille and mastering it my parents moved me into low vision school. if i could read braille then i could read print. i think they were embarassed that i had to read braille. so i lost the art. sooner or later i also lost the ability to read print. i tried to go back to braille but i only master grade one. so parents out there do not be ashamed of your child reading braille. my academic life was much harder because i couldn't.
joe monti