[il-talk] letter to the editor from Hadley president Chuck Young

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Thu Apr 23 00:14:28 UTC 2009

Chuck's letter to the Chicago Tribune regarding a previous article on the
decline in braille use appears today:

Teaching Braille

    April 22, 2009

This is in response to "Out of touch with Braille; A report says that use of
the tactile code is down and that fewer visually impaired children are
learning
it, but its fans call it an essential tool" (News, April 13), which
highlights one of the biggest challenges facing individuals who are blind or
visually
impaired: the lack of access to trained Braille instructors in the public
schools.

For those in rural areas, access to instruction is even more challenging.

At The Hadley School for the Blind, located in Winnetka, we are addressing
this issue head-on through distance education. For nearly a century, Hadley
has
been teaching Braille by mail.

Today we serve more than 10,000 students in more than 100 countries.
Students across the globe study Braille in the convenience of their own
homes, at their
own pace, and receive personalized instruction from a teacher via the
telephone or e-mail.

All of our courses for blind or visually impaired students are free of
charge.

In addition, Hadley currently offers a free "Introduction to Braille" course
for sighted teachers.

The data indeed show what we already know:

Braille readers have a higher degree of education, are more successful in
finding employment and are more likely to become independent and
self-sufficient.

-Charles E. Young, president, The Hadley School for the Blind, Winnetka

It can be found online at
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/print/chi-0422vplettersbriefs5apr22,0,2932194.story

The Hadley School for the Blind
700 Elm St. Winnetka, IL 60093