[il-talk] AT&T users may want to turn off your Spam Guard.

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Thu Apr 23 05:34:30 UTC 2009

I recommend that anyone with AT&T consider turning off their ISP's spam
filter.  A few weeks ago, I helped someone move nearly 400 messages from
their AT&T Spam folder, representing the messages he didn't receive in the
previous month.  (Messages he received before that were deleted without
being made available to him.)  TI thought I had configured filters to allow
all messages from NFBNET.ORG to pass to my inbox; so I was surprised to find
my own box filled with NFBNet or Googlegroup list messages AT&T regarded as
spam.  Those of us who use email clients such as Outlook or Outlook Express
would have no ideawe weren't getting them; and I suspect some on this list
don't even know they have a yahoo.com spam folder.

To turn it off, you will need to first log into mail.yahoo.com, your web
e-mail interface, using your e-mail address and password.  If you use a
screenreader, you will want to switch to Mail Classic, since Yahoo! Mail is
not supported.  Go to Mail Settings, and look for the link that will let you
toggle the status of Spam Guard.  After you've turned it off, you may want
to visit your spam folder by visiting its link, checking the box for each
message you want to keep, selecting the "move to" button, and moving them to
your in box.  If your experience is like Dave's or mine, you will discover
that over 80 percent  of what's there isn't spam.  AT&T's mail incryption
and built-in virus removal tools still block much of the worst spam.  I'd
rather put up with the bother of deleting the easily-identifyable 20 percent
than miss messages that may be important.

Bill