[il-talk] FW: [Nfb-newsline-sponsors] April 2009 NFB-NEWSLINE Happenings - TheNewsletter for Sponsors

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 15:27:54 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-newsline-sponsors-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfb-newsline-sponsors-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of West, Renee
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:32 AM
To: nfb-newsline-sponsors at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfb-newsline-sponsors] April 2009 NFB-NEWSLINE Happenings -
TheNewsletter for Sponsors

NFB-Newsline(r) Sponsors:

Please find attached and below (in plain-text format) the April 2009 issue
of NFB-NEWSLINE(r) Happenings. Should you have any questions or comments
regarding the newsletter or contents therein, please don't hesitate to call
or e-mail me; my contact details are available in my signature block.

Thank you!

Renee West
Manager, Marketing and Outreach
Sponsored Technology Programs
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
1800 Johnson Street
Baltimore MD 21230
Phone: (410) 659-9314 ext. 2411
Fax: (410) 659-5129
Websites: www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/> ; www.nfbnewsline.org
<http://www.nfbnewsline.org/> ; www.nfbnewslineonline.org

Text of the April NFB-NEWSLINE Happenings follows:

NFB-NEWSLINE(r) HAPPENINGS-APRIL 2009

Main Menu

            Greetings, Sponsors!  We are pleased that spring has officially
sprung, but we are even more pleased to announce the official launch of
NFB-NEWSLINE(r) Online!  We encourage everyone to take a look at our new Web
site, www.nfbnewslineonline.org, and poke around the different pages.
You'll notice that beyond providing information on our new initiatives we
are also providing a place that (we hope!) fosters better communication
between ourselves and our subscribers.  As our partners in serving our
subscribers, please let us know your thoughts on our new site and the new
features.  We also encourage you to spread the word about our two new
initiatives, NFB-NEWSLINE(r) In Your Pocket and Web News on Demand, wherever
possible.  Please write to Renee West, Marketing and Outreach Manager, for
language that you can use on your Web site or in your newsletter.  She can
be reached by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2411, or by e-mail at
rwest at nfb.org.  We've received many positive reviews on our new initiatives
and believe that many others would benefit from learning about (and, of
course, using!)
NFB-NEWSLINE(r) In Your Pocket and Web News on Demand, so please share the
news!

            Regarding the new initiatives, you may receive some questions
from current subscribers who want to use these features.  When speaking with
subscribers about NFB-NEWSLINE(r) In Your Pocket and Web News on Demand
please let them know that they do not need a new, or separate, account, and
that their current log-in codes will allow them to access to these features.

            We also have other good news: Jerry Moreno, a retired social
worker from North Carolina, is the newest member of the NFB-NEWSLINE(r)
Steering Committee.  We are very happy to have him on our team and look
forward to his input!

            We have well over 4,500 subscriber e-mail addresses, and we'd
like to make sure that we have an e-mail address for every new subscriber
where possible.  Please make sure that when entering a subscriber's e-mail
address that you include the address only, that is, please don't enter any
other information into the e-mail address field.
Extraneous data in that field makes the address come up as invalid when
sending out e-mails to our subscribers, meaning they don't receive our
mailings.  Other important information about the subscriber (or the
subscriber's e-mail address) should be entered into the Subscriber Notes
field.

            Finally, if you notice any problems with a local phone number in
your state, please advise Bob Watson, our Content Manager, at
bwatson at nfb.org.  We appreciate your help in providing top-notch service to
our subscribers.

Channel Chat

            In 2008 the NFB-NEWSLINE(r) service added 22 publications, and
we've added several so far this year as well.  It is likely that a newspaper
from your state is among those recent additions - and it is also likely that
your state's subscribers are unaware of the new publication(s).  Further, as
we've learned from previous subscriber interviews, many subscribers read
newspapers that are not local to their current home state - they may be a
recent transplant, have a relative in another state, or want to keep up on a
rival sports team's statistics.
Your channel can serve as an easy way to alert your subscribers of the
recently added publications and in this way provide added benefit to your
channel.

Our newest publications are:

Illinois - the Chicago Sun Times

Minnesota - the Rochester Post Bulletin

New York - the New York Post

New York - the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

New York - the New York Daily News

Massachusetts - the Boston Herald

Washington State - the Seattle Times

Remember...this is YOUR space, so get out YOUR message!

JUST THE STATS, MA'AM

            The Easter bunny delivered some sweet, sweet statistics this
month!  Your baskets have been filled with a total of 728 new subscribers in
March - your pursuit of new folks has been re "Lent"
less!  I'm also very happy about the terrific increase in calls - we've had
150,645 of them, 15,807 more calls than were received last month! In March,
my peeps in Connecticut, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. all saw local call
rates above 90 percent.

Top Ten Minutes Used:

            A total of 2,879,057 minutes were used in March, a whopping
increase of 244,277 minutes above February's usage - that's over 9 percent
more!  California had an increase of 24,233 minutes, and Michigan, a state
we haven't seen on this list for a few months, raised their numbers by 25
percent!  "Eggs"traordinary work, everyone!

1.         California                     294,663

2.         New York                    193,724

3.         Massachusetts             170,719

4.         Florida                         170,216

5.         Illinois                         152,916

6.         Maryland                     144,070

7.         Ohio                            141,800

8.         Texas                           114,151

9.         Pennsylvania               104,325

10.       Michigan                        94,036

Top Ten New Subscribers:

            The numbers for March are terrific!  Florida, I've got to tell
you, your "rabbit" pursuit of new subscribers has really paid off with the
addition of 307 new subscribers!  WOW!  That's an increase of
133 new folks (76 percent) over February's numbers, and you had a great
month then, too!  I don't want to "Passover" Kentucky, a newcomer to the
list with an increase of five more new subscribers than were added in
February.  Bask(et) in your success, gang!

1.         Florida, with 307

2.         Texas, with 65

3.         California, with 35

4.         Illinois, with 24

5.         Wisconsin, with 17

6.         Massachusetts , with 17

7.         New Jersey, with 17

8.         Michigan, with 16

9.         Kentucky, with 16

10.       North Carolina, with 14

E-mail Superstars:

            Due to complications with the compilation of e-mail statistics
(due to the addition of usage data from our new features), we are unable to
provide information about how many e-mails were sent out to your state's
subscribers in March.  We apologize for this lack of statistical
information, but please know that the issue is being resolved so that you
should receive the data for this current month
(April) in the next newsletter.

Top Ten Registered Subscribers:

            "Hare, hare" to the members of our Top Ten Registered
Subscribers list, who are all in the same spots as last month.

1.         Florida, with 9,905

2.         California, with 6,478

3.         Maryland, with 2,951

4.         Texas, with 2,644

5.         Michigan, with 2,578

6.         North Carolina, with 2,526

7.         Wisconsin, with 2,295

8.         New York, with 2,285

9.         Ohio, with 2,233

10.       Massachusetts, with    2,051

Congratulations, Everyone!

A Casting Call (for Help)!

If you will be attending our upcoming National Convention in Detroit, you
can play a starring role by providing information about
NFB-NEWSLINE(r) and our new initiatives to convention attendees!  We need
some "supporting characters" to assist us at our table in the exhibit hall
or help us present our new initiatives in our conference room (where we'll
have demonstration stations).  If you'd like to win rave reviews from us,
please write to rwest at nfb.org.

 Subscriber's Corner

                          I spoke with Shirley Roberts, a subscriber from
Ohio, who has been an early adopter (and happy user!) of one of our new
initiatives, Web News on Demand.  As a native-born Ohioan, she enjoys
reading statewide papers like the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Columbus
Dispatch, and the Dayton Daily News to keep up with local news coverage.  As
much as she has always enjoyed reading these publications over the phone,
however, she has found value in using Web News on Demand to access her
favorite papers and get the latest news.  She told me that she has found Web
News on Demand to be useful when she wants to easily get the spelling of a
certain name, either in a regular news story or in the obituaries, and she
also appreciates the ability to do a search for a certain individual's
listing in the obituaries.  She also likes using Web News on Demand (with a
Braille display) because it allows her to, in her words, "browse my papers
while other things like a radio or TV is on at the same time, (so that) I
don't have to have my concentration all on the phone."  She and her husband,
who are avid amateur radio users, often travel to visit friends they've made
over the ham radio.  When she's preparing to travel to another town, she
told me she'll add that town's paper in her Favorites so that she can read
about current events in her destination city.  She and her husband also love
to relax with the television in the evenings, and she said "I really like
looking through the TV listings online with Web News on Demand."  In her
view, our TV listings are "by far the best I've come across, very helpful
and comprehensive."  In all of the ways she uses our service, either on the
phone or online, we are happy that NFB-NEWSLINE(r) bas been of value to her,
as she has been to us by giving of her time for this interview.
Thank you, Shirley!

Your Monthly Helpful Hint

            SPREAD THE WORD!  As the recipient of this monthly newsletter,
you are kept abreast of the latest activities, adjustments, and advancements
to our service-but your colleagues (who have direct relations with clients
and consumers) may not.  Please share information about service upgrades and
new features, etc., with your colleagues so that they may in turn inform
current or potential subscribers.  Don't forget to share useful news with
itinerant staff or colleagues at a satellite office.

Talk with you next month!

The NFB-NEWSLINE(r) Team

07:54:00