[il-talk] chicago chapter activities for may

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 28 02:29:22 UTC 2009

National Federation of the Blind of Illinois, Chicago Chapter, Upcoming
Activities for May, 2009

Chicago Union Station Tour: Join us on Saturday morning, May 2.  contact
Co-chairs: Steve Hastalis Phone: 773-848-5307, Fashandra Nixon, Phone:
630-859-3005.

We will begin with breakfast at Lou Mitchell's, 565 West Jackson, on the
south side of the street, just east of Jefferson, at 10 AM.

We will explore bus stops, entrances, concourses, Amtrak and Metra ticket
offices, gate letters and track numbers.  Union Station is large, but it has
logical
lay-out.  Several Metra lines and all Amtrak trains in and out of Chicago
serve Union Station.

Come and join us! Competent, independent travel is necessary and enjoyable.
Knowledge of downtown Chicago's train terminals is an essential part of
travel
through our large, metropolitan area.

Additionally, many of us will take Amtrak to Detroit for our national
convention this summer, and we should know our way around Union Station by
the time
we board that train.

Semi-annual Membership Reception: One week later, on Saturday May 9, we will
hold our next Membership Reception at Exchequer Pub, beginning at 11:30 A.M.

Our business meeting will follow at 1 PM, beginning with a program which the
Chicago Board of Election Commissioners will present on accessible voting
machines.

Come and join us! Meet old friends, make new ones, and find out about the
latest developments in the blind community.