[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For August

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 18:08:03 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

August 1, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

THIS MONTH -- A SPECIAL MEETING

In August, our Blackhawk Chapter has, for the past few years, tried to plan a special chapter event.  This year, we are planning a travel session, a meeting to practice our mobility skills.  This will be an outside, fun event with no business to be conducted.

We will congregate at Lois Montgomery's house at 3527 12th Avenue in Moline at 1:30 PM on Tuesday, August 11.

>From there, we will practice street crossings with traffic lights, walking down streets and crossing streets with only stop signs.  We will catch a city bus at 41st Street, ride it across 23rd Avenue, then get off and walk to Whitey's for ice cream.  We will then walk back across 23rd Avenue, catch the bus again and get off close to Lois's house.

I estimate the total amount of walking to be about 45 minutes, and we might be together for several hours for the entire event.  Note that the standard fare for each bus is $1 and you will need the correct change.

FUND RAISING

You should be receiving your BIRDIES FOR CHARITY pledges in the mail.  Please send in your pledge as this is our largest fund raising event of the year.  The money received from Birdies For Charity, for example, makes it possible to have our Christmas Party in December with only a minimal charge to attendees.

By the way, the number of birdies this year was 1914.  Did anyone guess that number, or did anyone win any kind of prize?

LOUIS BRAILLE COIN RAFFLE

In 2009, the U.S. Mint is issuing a commemorative Louis Braille silver dollar.  The coin, issued as a collector's item, celebrates the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, the inventor of the Braille code, the method used by the blind to read and write print copy.

An uncirculated Louis Braille silver dollar can be purchased for $33.95 by going to the website, www.usmint.gov.  $10 of that purchase price will go to the National Federation of the Blind to promote Braille literacy.

However, you have another option to obtain a Louis Braille commemorative silver dollar.  Our chapter is raffling off two of the coins as a fundraiser.  One chance costs $1 or, you can buy 6 chances for $5.

The drawing for the first coin was held at our swim party in July, and the winner was Kathy Abbott.  But you still have another chance!  The drawing for the second coin will be held at our Christmas Party.  See Lois Montgomery to purchase chances.

UPCOMING EVENTS

August 29: NFBI board meeting at the Holiday Inn O'Hare, Chicago.  This is our annual face-to-face state affiliate board meting, held at the site of our upcoming 2009 state convention.

September 12:  This will be a regular Saturday meeting of the Blackhawk Chapter, back again at our regular meeting place, the South Moline Township Center in East Moline.

October  9-11:  NFB of Illinois state convention in Chicago.  Please consider going to this great NFB event.  Contact Bob Gardner for more details, or go to the website, www.nfbofillinois.org.

December 12 : Blackhawk Chapter Christmas party.

Birthdays. . .

     August 15     John Statz

23                                     Dave Jirele

25  Joanne Lasley

31  JoEllen Riordan

  September   3    Alma Sowers

9                             Bob Gardner

              11   Don Olson

19                      Larry Hines

20                      Lois Montgomery