[il-talk] News About State Representative Kathy Ryg

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:34:41 UTC 2009

This came to me through State Rehab Council channels.

Bob

***

Representative Kathy Ryg [mailto:kathy at kathyryg.org]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 1:31 PM
To: Heyrman, Mark
Subject: A New Chapter for Rep. Kathy Ryg

>From the Desk of State Representative Kathy Ryg.

I wish I could speak with you personally to share this news, but I will rely on this communication to convey my excitement over a new chapter in my life.

I have been honored and privileged to represent the 59th District and have done my best to work in your best interest.  Your perspective has always guided my decisions.  We have worked together on programs and services that benefit our communities and many of those initiatives have been adopted on a state level.  This work has been very gratifying but in looking forward, I've been presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity.

After serious reflection, I have accepted the position of President of Voices for Illinois Children, the highly respected advocacy group that works across professional and ideological boundaries to motivate positive change in the lives of Illinois children and families through informed policy.  Voices' mission is to improve the lives of children of all ages so they grow up healthy, happy, safe, loved, and well educated.  I am thrilled to join Voices' dedicated board, staff, and statewide network of friends and supporters in this effort!

You know my passion and energy come from sound policy and advocacy work.   My interest has always been to collaborate and build coalitions to achieve common ground in problem-solving the challenges faced by Illinois families.  My work both in Springfield and in my district has had a strong focus on children and families.  I already have enjoyed working closely with Voices to ensure success in giving children a great start through early learning and quality educational opportunities, supporting working parents in making ends meet, and helping children stay healthy - physically and emotionally.

That is why service as Voices' President is such a great match for my background and experience, but more importantly for the work to be done.  I am energized and enthused to take on this responsibility.  I look forward to continuing to work with those who share an interest in building better lives for children.  That includes all of you!

I have enjoyed and do respect the political process, but in working with Voices - a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization - I will now focus on working with policymakers as a resource and without any political agenda.  Thus, I am ending my personal involvement in election politics.  More details will follow as my replacement as State Representative is named.  My most competent staff including Theresa, Jackie, Sheila, Lindy, and Andy will remain available to meet any constituent needs you have.   I know you join me in expressing appreciation for their commitment and dedication.

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for all your consideration and support - it means more than I can put into words!

Know that you will always have my very best wishes,

Kathy