[il-talk] Re-post of Examiner

Connie Davis condav8950 at att.net
Tue Dec 1 17:03:37 UTC 2009

I am reposting the Examiner.  The time for the At Large Meeting was
inadvertently listed incorrectly.  The inline text follows below.

Connie

THE BRAILLE EXAMINER

POST-CONVENTION ISSUE 2009

Editors:  Connie J. Davis & Debbie Stein

President:  Patti Chang

CONTACT INFORMATION

President: Patti Gregory-Chang, (773) 307-6440, pattichang at att.net

Editor & Electronic Distribution: Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922,
<mailto:condav850 at yahoo.com> condav8950 at att.net

Editor:  Deborah Kent Stein, (773) 631-1093,
<mailto:dkent5817 at worldnet.att.net> dkent5817 at worldnet.att.net.

Braille Duplication & Distribution:  Carmen Dennis,(773) 583-0899,
<mailto:carmen88 at comcast.net> carmen88 at comcast.net

Proofreaders:  Carmen Dennis, Carolyn Nelson, Araceli Avina & Jodi Whitthaus

Website:  www.nfbofillinois.org; Webmaster, Ruth Anne Wheeler

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF ILLINOIS 2009 ANNUAL REPORT

By Patti S. Gregory-Chang

Delivered October 11, 2009, NFBI State Convention

Where was Dr. tenBroek in 1940 when the NFB began? Where did he live? In
Chicago, of course! Can anyone name the original seven states in the NFB?
They are Pennsylvania, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and
Illinois. Illinois has been in the thick of things from the beginning.

This year was no exception.

Freedom Link: Freedom Link, our transitions club, met monthly and students
were introduced to everything from escalators to sewing. Blind mentors
showed blind teens what they could do by doing it, not by talking about it.
That program will continue next year. We have already received the grant
money to do it.

Parents' Seminar: In the spring we held a parents' seminar. That seminar
drew eight families and two teachers of the visually impaired. They learned
about our positive philosophy. It resulted in at least one student changing
programs so that he can receive an education as opposed to a babysitting
service. We have forged better relationships with TVI’s and with more
parents as a result. You can see that at this convention. We have another
parents' seminar planned for 2010.

National Convention: We sent eighty-six people to Detroit. We were featured
at the March for Independence and in many of the division meetings. Many
Illinoisans were elected to division boards of directors.

Newsline®: We continue to rank in the top ten users of Newsline®. We add new
users every month. Our information channel helps us build positive
relationships with those agencies that wish to work with the organized
blind.

Outreach: This is an area we can be especially proud of. We have
consistently attended disability fairs, community events, and government
forums. We were at the Discovery Conference. This month we will attend the
Department of Human Services Division of Rehab Services Health Fair in
Springfield. We can even boast about appearing at the Chicago Children's
Museum for Meet the Blind Month. I just named a few.

We held a statewide membership drive this year. All over the state we called
blind people to tell them about our meetings and convention. We also asked
if they might be interested in starting a chapter.

We will hold our first at-large chapter meeting on November 8th, 2009 at
6:00.

Braille Literacy Campaign: We have obtained fifteen proclamations, including
one from Governor Quinn. We have made presentations at schools, spoken to
community groups, and actively promoted the Louis Braille Coin. We even had
Dr. Nemeth, the inventor of the Braille math code, here at this convention.
Our Braille Is Beautiful segment of convention sends the message that
Braille is fun and that we know how to have a good time with it.

Advocacy: We are ramping up our advocacy efforts. We are involved in more
cases and we are planning for the future by introducing a formal training
seminar next year. We even offered a training segment on social security on
Friday.

Grants and Scholarships: You saw the scholarship and internship recipients
yesterday. In addition we helped pay for Braille instruction for a child who
could not get it any other way. I am glad to say that he exceeded all goals
which had been set for him. We also helped pay for Colorado Center for the
Blind for another individual who did not qualify for ORS. Of course we
helped many to attend our seminars and conventions. The NFB is still the
largest gift we have to offer. In fact, we spent more than $3,000 to bring
people to this convention.

Illinois Association of Blind Students: IABS is maturing. Our students
played active roles, especially during our parents' seminar and our national
convention. Our future depends on our ability to grow and to mentor those
new to the movement. IABS is crucial to that future.

Legislation: We exceeded expectation in the area of legislation this year.
Our Washington Seminar attendance was just the beginning. We led the country
in cosponsors for HR734 and we have succeeded in making more personal
follow-up visits to congresspersons than ever before. Congressman Quigley
announced that he would cosponsor HR734 when he was here. Wasn't that a
convention moment to remember! We passed a quiet cars resolution in the
State House. We sent our members to Springfield and laid the groundwork for
passage of Braille competency legislation in 2010.

Newsletter: We are publishing the Newsletter more often. We had a spring
issue, a May-June issue, and another just before this convention. Connie
tells me that we will have one more this year. The committee is persuading
new authors to contribute and our message goes out all over the country via
this mechanism.

Web Page: Our web page is continuously updated. We introduced a calendar of
events. Mostly this avoids conflicts since we have such an active committee
structure. We are now at more than forty thousand hits. Please mark the site
as your homepage. In addition we are now on Twitter. I am tweeting on
Twitter. Go to www.twitter.com/nfbi. We have an FB or Facebook page. Just
search on our entire name to find our page.

Committees: I would be remiss if I did not mention many of our committees
which work behind the scenes. Some of our committees get regular
recognition. Others do what they do to support our efforts with less overt
visibility. Sales, for example, did an awesome job finding three things we
could sell at convention.  Public Relations works all year around to get the
word out on our events.

Next Year: It is always hard to prioritize for the coming year. The NFBI
board spent much time planning during our August meeting. I am not certain
what the next year will bring. Of course we will have successes and
setbacks. I am absolutely sure of one thing, however. Illinois will remain
in the thick of things just like we started in 1940 when Dr. tenBroek worked
from the campus of the University of Chicago Law School. This state is
strong and will remain so because we have deep leadership. Many of our
leaders hold office but many more lead with no title at all. We are headed
for a new decade and our strength will take us just as far as we determine
to go.

NFBI Convention 2009 Resolutions

By George Villa

The Resolutions Committee consisted of Denise Avant, Carmen Dennis, Annette
Grove, Mary Lou Grunwald, David Meyer, Ronza Othman, Debbie Pittman, Bill
Reif, Alyson Slaughter, Michelle Wesley, and committee chair George Villa.
The cutoff date for submission of resolutions was September 18, 2009.   The
cutoff date was not extended.  Committee members kept abreast of all
submitted resolutions via e-mail.  Resolutions were refined and readied for
submission, due to the dialogue that took place via e-mail and phone calls
during this period.  All resolutions were e-mailed to all committee members
on October 1, 2009 for a final review. Carmen Dennis was sent the final copy
of the resolutions on October 5, 2009.  Carmen Brailled the resolutions for
the committee members and also provided large-print copies.  Chapter
presidents were also supplied with Braille copies of the resolutions.

On Friday, October 9, 2009, at 7:00 PM the committee convened. No comments
or questions were taken from the floor.  Convention attendees at the
Resolutions Committee meeting were advised that they could contact their
chapter presidents to review a copy of the resolutions.  All discussion
involving the passing of resolutions was among committee members only.
Comments were allowed by the authors of the resolutions.   Debbie Stein read
the resolutions for the committee.  Resolutions had been submitted by Debbie
Pittman, Steve Hastalis, Bill Reif, and Ronza Othman.  Bill Reif and David
Meyer also co-wrote a resolution. With the exception of Resolution 2009-04,
resolutions 2009-01 through 2009-08 passed unanimously with some discussion
and minor changes.    Resolution 2009-04 was given a recommendation of do
not pass unanimously by the committee due to objectionable wording.  The
objectionable wording had to do with specific solutions including locations.
The author of the resolution was advised he could follow resolution
guidelines and submit the rewritten resolution before the convention body on
Sunday October 11, 2009. The Resolutions Committee adjourned at 8:02 PM
October 9, 2009.

On Sunday, October 11, 2009, resolutions approved by the committee on
Friday, October 9, were unanimously approved by the convention body.
Resolution 2009-04 was presented and read in its rewritten form and was
approved by the convention body unanimously. Resolutions may be read in
their entirety at www.nfbofillinois.org.  Arrow down and click on NFBI 2009
Convention Information. Resolutions may be found under a section listed as
NFB Convention Resolutions.  You can also now find all resolutions from the
2009 convention on the Blindness Information Channel of Newsline®.  They are
a separate section in the NFB of Illinois channel. A summary of each
resolution follows.

Resolution 2009-01--RESOLUTION TO ENSURE ACCESSIBILITY TO WEB SITE OFFERING
TAP PURCHASE.  This resolution calls on Pace Suburban Bus Co.  to make its
website accessible for loading the TAP swipe card for blind and visually
impaired customers.

Resolution [2009-02--RESOLUTION REGARDING A MORE EFFECTIVE STRUCTURE FOR
DELIVERING AND MONITORING EDUCATIONAL AND VOCATIONAL SERVICES TO BLIND
ILLINOISIANS.] This resolves that this organization call upon Governor Quinn
and the Illinois Legislature to consult with the National Federation of the
Blind of Illinois, in cooperation with other organizations of the blind, to
work toward the establishment of organizational and/or legislative changes
that facilitate the operation of a bureau or commission for the blind which
can more effectively work in partnership with the blind of this state to
provide effective services to the blind of Illinois.

Resolution 2009-03--RESOLUTION SUSPORTING, SUSTAINING, AND IMPROVING AMTRAK.
This resolves that this Organization work with other advocacy organizations
in the state dedicated to livable communities and improved public
transportation.

Resolution 2009-04--RESOLUTION SUPPORTING HIGH SPEED RAIL WITH CHICAGO ST.
LOUIS ROUTE THROUGH SPRINGFIELD. This resolves that this Organization work
with appropriate local, state, and federal officials, as well as advocacy
organizations dedicated to livable communities and improved public
transportation.

Resolution 2009-05--RESOLUTION SUPPORTING RESTORED OPERATING ASSISTANCE AND
INCREASED CAPITAL FUNDING IN FEDERAL TRANSIT REAUTHORIZATION LEGISLATION.
This resolves that the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois [cut in
Convention assembled, this 11th Day of October, 2009, in the City of
Chicago, Illinois, that this Organization strongly urge the Illinois
Congressional delegation to call for restoring federal operating assistance
and raising the percentage of capital assistance in the pending
reauthorization legislation; and that this organization work with other
advocacy organizations in the state, dedicated to livable communities and
improved public transportation.

Resolution 2009-06--RESOLUTION REGARDING LEGISLATIVE EFFORTS TO PROTECT THE
ADOPTION, CUSTODY, AND VISITATION RIGHTS OF BLIND PARENTS. This resolves
that this organization seek the enactment of legislation in Illinois that
prevents the denial of adoption, custody, or unsupervised visitation to a
parent or guardian based solely on the blindness of said parent or guardian.

Resolution 2009-07--RESOLUTION REGARDING ACCESSIBLE TEXTBOOKS. textbooks.
This resolves that this organization urge all institutions of higher
learning in this state to refuse to participate in any program involving the
Kindle DX or other electronic devices in accordance with the applicable
disability laws until and unless the electronic device under consideration
is made fully accessible to blind students.

Resolution 2009-08--RESOLUTION REGARDING BRAILLE LITERACY. This resolves
that this organization call upon the Illinois State Legislature and Illinois
Department of Education to incorporate the National Certification in
Literary Braille into their standards for professionals licensed to teach
blind students, and that this organization urge teachers of blind students,
state special education agencies, organizations of and for the blind, and
others to take all other steps necessary to join the National Federation of
the Blind in ensuring that the number of blind students who are Braille
literate  and able to read and write Braille competently, doubles by 2015.

THE NFBI SCHOLARSHIP CLASS OF 2009

By Debbie Kent Stein

Each year, for more than two decades, the NFBI has given scholarships to
outstanding postsecondary students who reside in and/or study in Illinois.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence, commitment to
the community, and leadership potential. Five students received scholarships
at the banquet of the NFBI convention on October 10, 2009. In addition to a
check and award certificate, each winner also received a Victor Stream
digital player/recorder.

Michal Nowicki, a freshman at University of Illinois/Chicago, and Rose
Sloan, a freshman at Northwestern University, each received a Kenneth
Jernigan Scholarship of $1500. Ashley Hatch, a freshman at Brigham Young
University, and Vandana Chaudhry, a doctoral candidate at the University of
Illinois/Chicago, were the recipients of Mary MacDill Knapheide Scholarships
of $1750. The 2009 winner of the Peter Grunwald Memorial Scholarship, valued
at $2250, was Michelle Wesley. Michelle is a senior at the University of
Illinois in Champaign. She is majoring in animal science and hopes to become
a veterinarian.

Warmest congratulations to the NFBI Scholarship Class of 2009.

CHICAGO CHAPTER NEWS

By David Meyer

The National Federation of the Blind is a multifaceted organization.  Though
we address a variety of issues including legislation, advocacy, education,
et cetera, I find that virtually everything we do addresses one purpose;
that being to enhance the quality of life for blind people in general and
for ourselves in particular.  To that end, the Chicago Chapter continues to
address this purpose.

In September, we featured a program called Reading on the Go. Federationists
demonstrated several devices and programs which have done much to enhance
the quality of life for blind people in the Greater Chicago area and
elsewhere.  The [KNFB Mobile Reader] and the Book Sense were the two devices
demonstrated by Patti Chang and David Wright.  Byron Lee also did a
demonstration of Newsline® using his mobile phone.

In November, we had an opportunity to learn about one of the most
influential companies selling aids and appliances of all kinds for blind
people, Independent Living Aids.  In December, we will hold our annual
Christmas auction.  This will give all of us an opportunity to enhance our
own lives through the purchase of a variety of items.  In addition, we will
be enhancing the financial wellbeing of our chapter through our purchase of
these items.

The Chicago Chapter is in the midst of several fundraisers.  Thanks to the
generosity of many chapter members, we will have sold more than $3,000 worth
of World's Finest Chocolate, which is the most successful candy sale in
several years. We are also participating in the sale of Louis Braille
Commemorative Coins.

Our advocacy efforts include working to insure affordable, accessible
transportation, outreach activities to students at ICRE Wood and the Chicago
Lighthouse, participating in a health fair at the Chicago Children's Museum,
doing a presentation at Harold Washington College, and participating in the
Senior Fair at the State Convention.

Finally, the purpose of enhancing the quality of life is something that has
and will continue to empower us individually and collectively.  We help
ourselves, we help each other, and we help those who may not know of us, as
well as those who will follow us in the circle of life.

In closing, I take the opportunity on behalf of the Chicago Chapter to wish
everyone a happy and joyous holiday season.

The following article was forwarded to us courtesy of Kelly Doty, Youth Slam
Coordinator for Illinois

Gear Up for Greatness!

National Federation of the Blind
2010 Junior Science Academy

Baltimore, Maryland, at the NFB Jernigan Institute

A STEM Program for Blind Children
Ages 8-12

In 2008, the National Center for Blind Youth in Science (NCBYS), a program
of the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, offered its
first Science Academy program for elementary students.  Once again, we are
making this program possible for children in grades three through six. The
NCBYS developed its Junior Science Academy (JSA) in 2004 in order to spark
and enhance blind students’ interest in scientific study, an academic area
that many falsely believe is too difficult for the blind.  This year, with
hands-on experiences, tactile materials, and innovative nonvisual teaching
methods, the JSA will open its doors again to young explorers with two
sessions of the program.  Applicants can apply for one of the following
dates:

Session 1: July 28-August 1, 2010
Session 2: August 4-August 8, 2010

The Junior Science Academy is a four-day session that will expose blind
children to the excitement of science in real-life applications.  The
students will learn about how much fun science can be through hands-on
instruction, field trips, and interactive activities. Attending parents will
participate in a corresponding seminar with workshops designed to focus on
meeting the needs of their blind children.

Program Costs

There is a $150.00 registration fee for accepted pairs of students and
parents/chaperones.  All other expenses, including travel, room, board, and
program materials will be covered by the NFB Jernigan Institute for all
participants, including accepted mentors.  .

Mentors Needed

We are also looking for mentors to work in one or both sessions of the
program.  mentors help facilitate student activities while parents are
engaged in parent programming.  Mentors can apply online at the site below.
Please visit this page to learn more about this opportunity and to apply to
be a mentor this summer.

How to Apply

Whether you are an interested family, or someone who is interested in
serving as a mentor, please visit  <http://www.blindscience.org/>
www.blindscience.org to learn more about this exciting event, or to apply.
You may also contact the NFB Jernigan Institute at (410) 659-9314, ext.
2407.

Come join us!

Sincerely,

Mary Jo Thorpe-Hartle, MEd, NOMC

Director of Education

Jernigan Institute

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells St.

Baltimore, MD 21230

Phone: (410)659-9314 ext. 2407

Email:  <mailto:MHARTLE at nfb.org> MHARTLE at nfb.org

Fax: (410) 659-5129

Visit  <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org   or
<http://www.blindscience.org/> www.blindscience.org

Senior-bilities: Embrace the Possibilities

By Kelly Doty

The second annual NFBI Senior Fair was held on Friday, October 9th, to kick
off our annual state convention. Attendees from throughout the Chicago area
were able to learn about products and services available to them as they
continue to adjust to their vision loss. Exhibitors offered alternative ways
to read newspapers, access other print materials, and use a computer.
Attendees were given the opportunity to sit down at the same type of voting
machine that is at their polling place and learn how they can cast their
vote independently. A variety of agencies that provide services, such as
transportation, senior groups, reading services, and in-home ophthalmic
care, were represented.

Members of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois (NFBI)
demonstrated some of the alternative techniques they use every day. Mary
Grunwald could be found with check writing guide in hand and talking
calculator by her side, while Steve Hastalis explained the usefulness of a
long white cane. Braille, kitchen items, and other household gadgets also
were available for demonstration.

NFBI members sprinkled themselves throughout the room as participants
enjoyed lunch. Many of the conversations centered around how most things can
be accomplished by discovering a new technique, some practice, and applying
a positive attitude. The trademark ‘can-do’ attitude of the NFB was quite
evident in remarks from the podium by State President, Patti Chang, and our
National Representative, Parnell Diggs.

Two long-time Federationists then shared a brief look into their journey to
independence. Mary Grunwald, a small business owner, told how she has had to
meet many challenges throughout her career. She still uses advice she gets
from others who are blind to continue to keep her business a success. Bob
Gardner, a retired engineer, emphasized the acceptance of one’s blindness as
the key to moving forward. He knows firsthand that blindness training can
only take root and flourish in the right environment --- in the presence of
a positive attitude about blindness!

Rosie Hooks summed up her day with these comments, “I was so inspired by the
NFBI Senior Fair. It gave me the incentive and hope I was looking for to
help me cope with my fears about losing my sight. I felt right at home as I
say with my people. There was a wealth of information given and the speakers
were awesome!” Like Rosie, a number of attendees did seem to embrace the
possibilities that NFBI offers as evidenced by the 21 people who elected to
join our Chicago Chapter!

Are You A Parent of a Blind Child?

By Beth Sturman

Have you ever read the book Are You My Mother? by Dr. Suess?  The book talks
about a bird who is wandering aimlessly, trying to find his mother.  The
bird is looking for guidance, direction, and a group that he feels he
belongs with.  When a parent has a blind child, he/she goes through the same
feelings and frustration that this bird went through.  As parents of blind
children we search for specialized people who will provide us with help and
support that make us stronger and more resilient to society's ideas on
blindness.  Thanks to Patti Gregory-Chang, Debbie Stein, and the members of
the National Federation of the Blind in Illinois, we are closer to finding
parents who have been searching for a place of belonging.

Our group started with only two parents who had a common interest: blind
children.  Nelly Gamino and I met at the National Convention of the National
Federation of the Blind in 2008. We both wanted more information on blind
children.  Illinois hasn't had an organized parent group in years.

After talking to Patti Gregory-Chang, Debbie Stein, and parents who are in
the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC), we decided
how important a parents' group is in raising a child who is blind.  Our
first step was to commit to learning more about groups of parents of blind
children.  With the National Federation of the Blind taking us under its
wing, we were sent to parent leadership seminars, seminars explaining NFB
programs and philosophy, and seminars on how to change laws and regulations.
It was the most exciting and exhilarating time of our lives.

We returned feeling charged and full of ideas.

Over 350 phone calls were made, fliers were mailed, schools were notified,
and in October 2008 we organized an hour-long presentation for the NFBI
State Convention.  With only three parents besides Nelly and me, we spoke
for the first time of our desire to start a parents' group.

Although Nelly and I felt defeated in our first attempt, we only got
stronger by learning from this experience.  Our next challenge was to host a
parents' Seminar in April of 2009.  Once again, with the support of the
members of the NFBI, we learned to plan a kids' camp designed to help
educate blind children through engaging activities, promote self-esteem, and
educate siblings on blindness.  In addition, we teamed up with the NFBI to
create an amazing seminar for parents of blind children.  By talking with
the parents who attended the state convention, we learned that we all wanted
more information on the same topics: socialization skills, skills to prepare
for IEP's, and knowledge on technology.  Nelly and I could talk about our
experiences as parents and express how the topics related to our families'
lives, but the members of NFBI were the specialists who could help us
foresee the upcoming challenges that parents would face.

We also needed to find more parents of blind children to attend the seminar.

Again, fliers were sent and phone calls were made.  Bob Gardner worked on
getting us a site for the seminar and organized hotel accommodations that
were needed for an entire day.  This time we had a packed room filled of
parents, teachers, and NFBI members supporting our seminar.  Ten parents
attended the seminar, as well as three teachers of the visually impaired and
twelve children. The NFBI sent four families to the National Federation of
the Blind National Convention in Detroit.  Illinois parents and children
attended many seminars, workshops, and parents' groups providing knowledge
on blindness. We spoke to many state presidents who have already formed
NOPBC chapters.

Now, we needed to bring back to Illinois techniques and ideas to use for our
next planned event, the State Convention for the NFBI. Instead of Nelly and
I being the only ones planning the event, we had three more parents to
create a two-hour seminar.  Tina Egle, Maureen Lamperis, and Fransisco Chang
were excited at the chance to promote our parents' group.  With Patti
Gregory-Chang and Parnell Diggs guiding us, we were set.  The NFBI members
volunteered their time and donated items for the kids' camp and Parnell
Diggs volunteered to be our guest speaker.  The parents' seminar portion of
the NFBI state convention was a success.  We had fifteen children attend the
day camp and twenty-seven people attended the [parents'] workshop (seventeen
people out of the twenty-seven were parents).

We have our first formalized parents' conference call scheduled for November
15th, 2009. Plans are underway for our next parents' seminar, to be held in
spring 2010.

Fall Festival Kids Kamp

By Maureen Lamperis

One of the most exciting events of the convention this year was the
action-packed Saturday Kids Kamp.  Children ranging from three to twelve
found themselves engaged in a variety of well-planned activities throughout
the day.  Pumpkins and Apples was the theme for the stories, games, and
events enjoyed by all.  The children came to know each other quickly with
the “Apple Name Game,” and learned many facts about apples as well!
Although they were delighted with the “Worm Hunt” and the “Monster Mash,"
the scavenger hunt was the real highlight of the day.  All were able to show
off their creativity with apple painting and creating pumpkin masks.
Lunchtime was an opportunity to practice good manners. Yummy treats were
enjoyed throughout the day.  The children practiced their Braille skills
with pumpkin fun and spooky stories.  After counting candy corn, everyone
got their hands dirty planting apple and pumpkin seeds.  Nobody was too
tired at the end of the day to dance and sing with the DJ at the pajama
party.

Many talented professionals affiliated with the NFB dropped in to help,
teach, and just have fun!  We also thank Beth Sturman and her entire family
for planning this great event and coordinating the activities throughout the
day.

My First Convention

By Sheila Schneider

Recently, I attended my first NFBI convention. It was held the weekend of
October 9-11, 2009, at the Holiday Inn O’Hare, Chicago, Illinois.  As a
student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, although they
have great diversity, it is rare to meet someone who is blind.  Michelle
Wesley was my first contact with IABS at the U. of I. and she encouraged me
to attend the convention.  I must say that it was an amazing experience
getting the opportunity to meet so many others who are blind in one place.
My guide dog, a golden retriever, traveled with me to Chicago from
Champaign, Illinois on Friday. I registered Friday evening and attended the
Pizza Buffet, where I met LeAnne Mayne.  She introduced me to my mentor for
the convention, Cathy Randall, the vice-president of the Ferris Wheel
Chapter of NFBI. She made sure I had everything I needed. The pizza was
great and music was provided by Blair Alper.  We also had a live feed on the
internet for the entire meeting.

The next morning I attended the IABS Breakfast and became a member.  The
Saturday sessions began with a great reading by the “Proud Braille Readers”
and an update on the national scene by Parnell Diggs of South Carolina.  In
the afternoon we had many presentations, including those from the
participants of Youth Slam. At lunch I met our state president, Patti Chang.
She introduced me to Dr. Abraham Nemeth. I sat with him at lunch and during
the afternoon session.  I was absolutely thrilled to be able to converse
with the inventor of the Nemeth Code.  Dr. Nemeth also gave a talk about his
life as a blind person and mathematician, as well as NUBS (Nemeth Uniform
Braille System), which he is currently developing as a more complete method
of reading for the blind.  Parnell Diggs, our keynote speaker, gave an
address during the banquet. He told of his life growing up in South
Carolina.  The evening ended in the Hospitality Room, where we were able to
meet up and enjoy conversation.

Sunday morning found us learning a new game called “string ball, which is
similar to baseball.  In addition the last day found us hearing the
President and Treasurer's Reports and voting on the resolutions which the
board presented to the membership.  During the entire three-day event,
LeAnne Mayne and her capable assistant as well as new board member, [Denise
Avant,] handled the door prizes which were generously donated by members.  I
even won a $25 gift card to Applebee's!  We also had a raffle drawing for an
iPod, Louis Braille $1 Coin, and the IABS 50/50.

The convention ended on a high note and we all said goodbye to our new and
old friends.  The weekend, although a bit tiring, seemed to go very quickly!
I wanted to meet everyone but there was just not enough time.  All in all, a
thoroughly exciting time was had by this new member and [first-time]
attendee.  I sincerely hope that I can attend the 2010 convention in
Springfield and meet many more of you!

IABS 2009 and Into the Future

By Alyson Slaughter

The basic mission of the Illinois Association of Blind Students (IABS) is to
EDUCATE - to educate not only ourselves, but society as well. It is our goal
to learn and grow as blind students and to teach others that blind people
can not only be successful students, but can go on to be successful in other
aspects of life.  We just need the confidence to do so. Each one of us has
special talents and unique characteristics that aid us in our contribution
to society. Every person, blind and sighted alike, has a purpose. No one and
nothing is too large or too small. As long as we have the confidence, the
drive, and the support of others, anything can be achieved.

Speaking of achievements, since our last State Convention a year ago, IABS
has been busy with activities and events geared towards achieving betterment
for blind students, and the blind population in general.  In January, I
attended a Recruitment Seminar at the National Center in Baltimore.  Also in
January, our treasurer Ronza Othman attended Washington Seminar, as well as
the National Association of Blind Students winter meeting. I went back to
the National Center in March for a NABS Leadership seminar, where I was able
to meet fellow blind students and share ideas on helping blind students
reach their fullest potential.  Furthermore, 6 of our 7 board members, as
well as numerous members of IABS, attended the National Convention in
Detroit. In October we were in Chicago for our State Convention and we had
an IABS outing to Second City to see the comedy show America All Better. 16
of us went and had a great time.

One aspect of being a member of IABS is realizing that we are the future of
the affiliate. In that respect, we have already begun our training, as we
have members on every NFBI committee, from legislation, Resolutions,
Scholarship, Public Relations and Press, Fundraising and Development and
Recruitment and Retention.  By being involved in said committees, we are
able to incorporate educational issues into NFBI policy.  We can make a
difference not only in our lives and those of other members of society, but
we are also helping to shape the lives of future generations.

We have also been busy with fundraising, including selling travel kits for
$10 each.  Please contact any member of IABS if you’re interested in
purchasing one of these travel kits.  Perhaps our most lucrative (as well as
most fun) fundraiser comes in the form of IABS Idol on the Friday night of
Convention.  Members and friends pay $5 to showcase their singing talents
for a prize, as well as bragging rights as Idol winner.  Those brave souls
are then praised (or criticized!) by the judges, which this year included
Julia Chang, Parnell Diggs, and Sean Whalen.

As a group, we can grow as an affiliate and teach others our message. It is
only in believing that we can achieve our dreams and make others believe.
Please continue to support IABS, and all student affiliates, as we are the
future of the NFB.

My First State Convention

By: Jodi Witthaus

This past October I made my way to Chicago with my parents and boyfriend in
tow.  It was the first state convention that I had ever attended.  I was
nervous with anticipation.  I didn’t know what to expect as we pulled up to
the hotel.  While checking in we saw a few familiar faces, those who we met
at the National Convention in July.  When seeing these familiar faces, it
put me a little at ease, knowing that this convention would be more personal
than the National.

We settled in, and finally headed downstairs to eat.  When we entered the
banquet room I was astonished at how small the crowd was compared to the
National Convention, but in a good way.  I turned to my father and made the
remark, “Um, I think we should have started with a State Convention.”  I
could tell immediately that we would be able to converse and meet a lot of
new people.

I was told before we arrived in Chicago that there would be a number of
young people for me to meet with.  I was so excited to hear this information
and couldn’t wait to see how many blind adolescents I could talk with about
my problems.  I never get this chance because I don’t know of any
adolescents in my area with visual problems like mine.  I did indeed meet
some new people who could relate more than I could have ever believed.  To
this day, I still keep in touch with these people.

My first state convention was exciting and informative.  I met a lot of
wonderful people who I know will help me find a brighter light in the
future, and also help give me structure and a sense of sturdiness when I’m
not having the best of days.  Although I believe I still should have started
with a State convention rather than a National, both were great and helped
me develop positive relationships with people who I would have never met
otherwise.

How I Came To the Colorado Center for the Blind and My Experiences Thus Far

By Araceli Avina

I have been a proud member of the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois Chicago Chapter since February of 2008.  The first chapter meeting
that I tried to attend was actually in January.  I did not become a member
then because I discovered that when I finally arrived, the meeting was over
and people were walking out.  I did meet some people there, one of whom I
became very close friends with during the almost two years of being part of
the NFB.  I am still laughing about the first question Carmen Dennis asked
in her mind when she gathered my information:  “Is she college material?”  I
had never met this lady before and I found out that she had gone to school
with one of my ISVI teachers.

When Carmen was finally able to track me down, we had a good talk and
developed a good friendship.  I found in her a new source of support. This
was a good thing because I was desperate to learn new things, meet people,
and make some friends.  I was tired of being stuck at home. I knew that I
needed to learn skills that would make me more independent.

Earlier, during the summer, I was in a mild depression because I did not
know what to do after I left the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired.
I had been introduced to cooking on the stove and sundry other things during
my time at ISVI.  It seemed that the skills that I learned didn’t make any
difference to the members of my household, so I wasn’t using them.   When I
discovered the NFB of Illinois, I made the first move and contacted the
president of the state affiliate, Patti Gregory-Chang.  Obviously, many
things were happening in the affiliate.   When she returned my call, Patti
apologized for taking two weeks to get back to me.  She listened to me as I
explained what I hoped to find through the NFB, and invited me to attend a
chapter meeting.  We also talked about filling out forms so that I could
apply for a scholarship from the NFB because I thought that I was ready for
college.  However, as I later discovered, there is no guarantee that you are
ready for something different just because you want to run from your current
situation.  I wanted desperately to find something else that would make me
feel of some worth and raise my self-esteem.

So I went to my first chapter meeting in February, having decided I really
wanted to try this out.  My first chapter meeting was very exciting to me. I
took the train from where I reside in Hanover Park (fondly known as Hangover
Park) all the way to Chicago’s Union Station and met an NFB member who
showed me how to get to the location of the meeting.  Though times were
still difficult for me at home, I had the NFB and two best friends that I
could confide in when I needed to talk about things.  Carmen and her
daughter, Kristy, offered me a ride after my first chapter meeting because I
was going to take some books home which Kelly Doty had for me.  I had been
introduced to the Kernel Books.  I was very excited to get something in
Braille that I could keep.

I filled out the forms to apply for an internship and a scholarship with the
help of my therapist, since I did not have a computer with Internet access
at the time. That same year, I won an internship. Thus I was able to pay for
registration at a community college and attend two classes. It was during
this time that Carmen, in one of our many conversations, told me about the
NFB training centers.  We talked about the Colorado Center for the Blind.  I
finally decided that I would definitely give it a try. So I took the first
step once again. I got in contact with Julie Deden and started the ball
rolling. It took some time to figure everything out. However, it soon came
to pass that Julie told me she would be sending me an application for the
Center via email. It was finally happening! I was going to Colorado to an
NFB training center!

Now came all the other frustrations and many other questions I had.  What
was the address of the apartment where I was going to live? What kind of
things would be included with the apartment, such as phone and Internet?
When would I start? How would I get there? What would I take with me and
what would I leave behind?  You get the picture.

Well, those questions were eventually answered.  My mom, my little brother
Danny, my friend Kristy, and one of our mutual friends were going to take me
to Colorado to see that I was settled in during the Labor Day weekend.
Kristy, Joe, and I picked my mom and little brother up at my house on the
evening of September 4.  The first full day at my apartment was actually
Sunday. I remember that I had many questions and did not know [whom] to ask.
I asked continually, only to receive conflicting answers.

Soon I learned the routine. The first day I went to the center, one of the
students walked with me and showed me the way.  When I arrived, I had the
cane I used in Chicago.  My friends all told me I’d have to use an NFB cane.
Sure enough, that is one of the things I received when I arrived.  Carol
Elzi took measurements and gave me my brand new NFB cane.  I also received a
pair of sleepshades which I have to use from 8 to 4:30 during the week or
when working with a staff member on any kind of training or activity,
especially travel.  I was a candidate for sleepshades because I have light
perception.  The sleepshades took a lot of getting used to because I had
never been subjected to walking without my light perception.  Needless to
say, that was a very hard transition for me.  Because of the family I have
in the NFB, that transition was endurable. I hadn’t realized how much I
actually did rely on my light perception until I was honest with the people
at the center.

I learned to take the bus in the morning to the light rail station.  I take
the light rail from Mineral Station to the Littleton Downtown Station. Once
there, for me, it is only a fifteen- to twenty-minute walk to the building
in which the Colorado Center for the Blind is located.  This route sounds
easy, but it was extremely confusing for me at the very beginning.  I didn’t
feel comfortable walking by myself for weeks.  Every time I thought I had
the route down, something else would pop out at me and say “Oh no, you can’t
do this route by yourself yet.”  I was so excited the first time I did the
route from my apartment to the center and back home all by myself. It was a
huge success for me.

My most recent success was that of making a grilled ham and cheese sandwich
on the stove all by myself in my apartment.  I feel confident that soon I
will be able to cook anything I want to cook on the stove or in the oven
successfully.

I have enjoyed my time at the center thus far.  I have made new friends and
learned new things.  I have also gained much more confidence. There are
still things I need to work on and travel is one of those.  Everything is
improving, even my Braille. Yes, there was room for improvement in my
Braille skills even though I’ve known how to read and write in Braille for
years. I have seldom used a Braillewriter since I have been here.  I have
done all my Braille using a slate and stylus. I have the accuracy, so I am
now working on speed. My hand used to cramp up before whenever I used a
slate and stylus for a lengthy amount of time. I look forward to going to
the Braille class in the morning and using my slate to do dictation,
conversational writing, or timed tests. Now I want a full-page slate.

I enjoy my home management class, as I do all the other classes.  I
especially like the [industrial arts] class. I have learned all about the
click rule and how to take measurements with it. I have learned about some
types of wood.  I especially like the aromatic cedar, which is sometimes
very hard to come by.  I have learned how to use a couple of electric
sanders.  I know how to use a drill press. I am now working on my project,
which is an oak music [box.  My first choice was cedar but it was not
available. I have had ups and downs during my time at the center, but most
of the time it’s been awesome.

I have worked out a few problems and I am still going strong every day.  It
is good to know other people in the same situation as I am.  I have learned
a lot from their individual stories.  One person who has helped me walk to
and from places and [has taught] me new ways to remember routes is Maureen
Hoban, a twenty-eight-year-old from Philadelphia.  Maureen told me that when
she first came to the center, she did not even own a cane. I don’t know why
that stuck with me but it did. She is one of the many students I have to
thank for working with me on travel to and from the center.  She was
extremely patient. All the students and staff at the center have been
extremely helpful and awesome to be around.  My cane and I have even earned
ourselves nicknames.  I am known as “Half Pint" to one of the travel
instructors because of my height, four feet six inches.   My cane is known
as "the Pencil” because it is the shortest cane in the adult program.  It
had to come from the kids’ closet where the kids in the elementary program
get theirs.  I laughed when I found out they weren’t joking about the kids’
closet.

I am so glad to have this experience.  I just want to end this article by
saying that I feel like this is a step in the right direction for me.
Thanks to those who always remind me that I have the strength to deal with
things when I come home frustrated or upset because I feel that I didn’t do
something right. You know who you are.

Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

By Annette Grove

Co-Chair, NFBI Federal legislation Committee

Chances are pretty good that many of you are avid baseball fans.  Whether
it’s the Sox or the Cubbies or the St. Louis Cardinals, I’ll bet the
diehards can name their home team’s power lineup, even though the season
ended more than a month ago and Spring Training is at least a month away.
I’ll bet you’re itching to hear the crack of the bat on that ball and to
take in at least one game up close and personal during the 2010 season.

And for those of you who would rather spend your time with a good book or
taking in the latest box office sensation, I’m sure you can rattle off the
top ten best sellers or know more intimate details of your favorite actor’s
life than probably is healthy.  I’ll bet you can’t wait to download your
next pick to your Victor Stream or send in this month’s subscription to
Net-Flix.

Ah yes, that would definitely put you in the running with any smart fifth
grader.  But if you want to move to the head of the pack and claim that
“smarter than” prize, you’ll have to reach just a little further.  Extend
your hand and greet your next door neighbors: members of the US
Congressional Delegation from Illinois!  While it certainly is entertaining
to watch a good ballgame and one can learn some interesting things through
books and movies, the current political scene is unmatched in terms of
entertainment and definitely offers a wealth of educational opportunities.
Besides that, your Congressman is much more approachable than Gordon Bekham,
Milton Bradley, Albert Puljos or Brad Pitt!

As Co-Chair of our Federal Legislation Committee, I would like to challenge
each of you to beef up your knowledge about the legislative process and the
Congressmen who work for you.  After all, your hard earned tax dollars are
keeping the delegation in Washington.  So, if you can recite any
entertainment trivia (baseball, books, movies or whatever), I challenge you
to match at least as much about your political leaders.  Here are a few
facts to get you started:

·        Many Congressmen have law degrees and are practicing attorneys, but
do you know the IL Congressman who has a distinguished career in law
enforcement?

·        Congressmen profess a variety of religions; Lutheran, Episcopalian,
Roman Catholic, Christian and Jewish, but do you know who claims membership
in the Serbian Orthodox faith?

·        Our Congressmen boast distinguished educational pedigrees from
institutions such as the US Air Force Academy, Stanford and the London
School of Economics, but do you know who holds a PhD in Political Science
from Duke University and taught at Notre Dame?

·        There are four women represented in our delegation.  Can you name
the one who lists her occupation as “political activist” and do you know who
was featured in Glamour Magazine in 1998 as a “new female power player?”

·        There are nineteen (19) Representatives and two (2) Senators
representing Illinois in our US Congress.  Can you name the fourteen who
have co-sponsored HR 734 our Quiet Cars Bill and the eight who have
cosponsored HR 886 our Social Security Bill?

·        And if you’re really smarter than a 5th grader, do you know who
shares the same name with a Senator from South Dakota of the rival political
party?

So you can see that your own Congressman and the other eighteen (18)
Representatives and our two (2) IL Senators are people just like you and me;
with varied backgrounds, yet focused on making this a more perfect and
productive nation.  The NFBI Federal Legislation Committee strongly urges
you to reach out your hand and get to know them as your neighbors.  Learn
about the issues that interest them and educate them about ours.  Let them
know we value and utilize public services such as parks and libraries, that
we work and pay taxes and that we and our extended families exercise our
franchise to vote,  We must be out and about; attending “town hall
meetings,” picnics, parades, voter forums; visiting  their local offices;
sending e-mails and requesting their newsletters.  Then and only then can we
maximize our strength as a voting force.

During 2010, we will be cataloguing a list of events in which our members
have participated, so please make an effort to put yourself and your
Congressman on that list multiple times in many different venues.  Please
send a brief email describing your experience to me at
<mailto:annette.grove at goodwill.org> annette.grove at goodwill.org so we can
include it in the mix.  May you also be reminded of the privilege of
politics and the power of one, every time you begin to think about baseball
or books or movies; and someday you might not only be smarter than a 5th
grader, but smart enough to run for office!

Stay tuned for the next issue of the Braille Examiner for the answers!

State Legislation committee Update

By Bill Reif and Mary Grunwald, Legislative committee Co-chairs

Members of the Legislative Committee, along with many affiliate members,
have been involved in numerous important statewide Federation activities
since our successful March 12th legislative event, including a spectacular
State Convention, numerous Braille Literacy initiatives, and some important
outreach activities.  Those activities, along with the state Legislative
summer break, account for the relative inactivity of the committee the past
few months.

We were successful in getting the Illinois House to pass a resolution
affirming its support of our federal Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act,
which will establish a taskforce to determine a minimum sound output for
hybrid and other quiet vehicles so that blind persons and other pedestrians
can assess a vehicle's speed and direction.  Although the Senate did not
consider this resolution, we are hopeful that the House passage will
encourage even more Illinois U.S. House Representatives to sign on as
cosponsors of HR 734.

It is now time for this Committee to re-focus on the important legislative
work we began in March.  We also need to take on other initiatives resolved
at our recent convention.  We must work to turn our positive contacts and
experiences into legislative success that will change what it means to be
blind in Illinois, particularly for blind children.  Our main priority will
be to assure that early next year we have legislators willing to sponsor and
to cosponsor Braille teaching competency legislation that requires those who
teach blind/visually-impaired children to periodically certify that they
meet standards established by the National Blindness Professional
Certification Board.  Our Committee also will contact representatives
regarding other issues that were the subject of resolutions passed at our
State Convention, including several transportation issues.

Toward that end, the Affiliate has established a State Transportation
Committee, to be chaired by Jemal Powel, to which members are being added.
An effective legislative strategy assures that important work, including
legislative visits in Springfield and in local offices throughout the state,
can be coordinated among committee members.

To accomplish that goal, we try to have a geographically diverse committee
and to work with members from as many legislative districts in Illinois as
possible.  Many senators and representatives will only communicate with
constituents who reside in their respective districts.  We invite all with
an interest in advancing our legislative agenda to work with us, and to
attend conference calls as they are announced on the IL-talk listserv.  Feel
free to call me at (217) 801-2996 or to email me at billreif at ameritech.net.
Thanks for your willingness to assist in this important work.

In Memoriam: Josephine Chocholek

By Ken Staley

Josephine Chocholek first became a member of the National Federation of the
Blind of Illinois in the 1970’s.  She regularly attended Chicago Chapter
meetings with her husband, Victor.  I first came to know the Chocholeks when
we worked together at the Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind.

Josephine was a lot of fun.  Pam Gillmore and I enjoyed paying her a visit
from time to time.  I always looked forward to beginning each week, talking
to Josephine about current news stories.

Josephine took great pride in her six children, as well as her
grandchildren.  My favorite grandchild was Crystal, who served for a time in
the army in Iraq.

In 1986, Josephine was involved in a serious accident while exiting a bus in
the downtown area.  Though this event curtailed her independent travel, it
did not dampen her spirit.

She suffered many health problems, including several heart attacks in her
later years.  Nevertheless, she was always upbeat.

I always looked forward to seeing Josephine.  I enjoyed many fine meals
during my visits.  I especially liked her ox tail soup.

Though she did not talk a great deal about the Federation, Josephine
demonstrated her commitment to the organization by becoming a lifetime
member.

Josephine, you will always be close to my heart.  You are in my thoughts and
prayers each day.  From all of us who came to know and love you, may you
rest in peace.

NFBI Calendar of Events

December

1--------8:00-11:00 PM, IABS meeting, via conference call, 712.580.7700,
code 4227

2---------9:00 PM-12:00 AM, Washington Seminar Applications may be submitted

3---------8:00-11:00 PM, Washington Seminar Application Review, meeting
closed

5---------10:00 AM-12:00 PM, Ferris Wheel Chapter Meeting, Lincoln Library,
Springfield, IL, corner of 7th and Capitol

              11:30 AM, Heartland Chapter Christmas Party, Village Grill,
135 S. Schuyler, Bradley, IL

              12:00 PM Four Rivers Chapter Christmas party, Lincoln Jug
Restaurant, W. A Ave., downtown Belleville, IL

6---------6:00-8:00 PM At Large Chapter meeting via conference call,
712.580.7700, code 6324

8:00-11:00 PM, Chappell Committee, meeting closed

7---------8:00-11:00 PM, NFBI Board Meeting, via conference call,
712.580.7700, code 6324

11-------- Last day to purchase Louis Braille Commemorative Silver Dollars
from the US Mint

12--------11:30 AM-3:30 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, 226 S. Wabash, Chicago,
IL

               5:30-8:00 PM, Blackhawk Christmas Party, Christ United
Methodist Church, East Moline, IL, Reservations due December 1,  Call Lois
Montgomery, 309.762.3414 to make your reservation

Seasons’ Greetings from the Braille Examiner Committee!