[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter: December

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 14:26:52 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

Dec. 3, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Ready or not, December is upon us!  This is a busy, busy month for everyone. I hope everyone enjoys this holiday season - time with family and friends, the music, the shopping, the goodies, and everything that makes this time of year special for you. Speaking of special, read on . . . .

OUR ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PARTY

   Saturday, December 12th. - The Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party & Dinner at Christ United Methodist Church located at 3801 7th. Street in East Moline. Please be at the church by 5:30 PM. Dinner will be served at 6:00 PM, and the party will end at approximately  8:30 PM.

   We will enjoy a night of good fellowship and a great meal. We will have our usual silent auction of baked goods, and many door prizes. We will also have our drawing for the Louis Braille coin.  Chances on the coin will sold right up until drawing time - 1 chance for a $1 or 6 for $5.

   We would really appreciate donations of baked goods for the silent auction. Please bring them the night of the party.

   The highlight of our Christmas party will be a special musical Holiday program featuring the Javaux Family String Quartet. You won't want to miss this.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Our program in November was a visit from Kim Huff, a representative from Metro Link, our bus system on the Illinois side of the Quad-Cities.  Mr. Huff answered many questions about the bus system, and listened to our comments about our experiences in riding the buses.  Mr.Huff took many notes, planning to pass on our feedback about ways to improve bus service for the blind and visually impaired.

CHAPTER ELECTIONS

The election of our 2010 Blackhawk Chapter officers was held at our October meeting.  The results were:  president, Bob Gardner; vice president, Lois Montgomery; treasurer, Kathy Abbott; secretary, Jana Hergert; board members elected were Jay Blanchard, Don Carey, and Jay Miller.  We thank these people for their willingness to serve.

FUND RAISING

YOUNKER'S COMMUNITY DAY . . .

   Thanks to everyone who helped out with the sale of tickets for this event.  There will be a report of our earnings at the January meeting.  A special thank you needs to be given to Pat Olson for organizing this event.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

         December 9 - Loretta Beckwith

                 18 - Jay Blanchard

UPCOMING EVENTS

January 9, 2010:  our first regular meeting of the new year.  We will be back at our normal meeting place -- the East Moline Township Center in East Moline.

January 15:  The ONE YEAR anniversary of the first meeting of the ABLE (Access to Braille Literacy for Everyone) Group.  CONGRATULATIONS !  The meeting date and location for the first 2010 meeting will be announced soon.

RECIPE CORNER

  HELP !!!!  Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Cranberry Sauce

from Abby Gardner Weatherington

2 bags dried cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups cranberry juice
2 apples chopped
1 grated orange rind (to your liking)
1 tsp cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp cornstarch

Combine first six ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Turn heat off, and take out small amount of liquid. Mix cornstarch with this liquid using a whisk. Return this mixture to pan and cook on mid to low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat and cool. Sauce with thicken more as it cools.

Abby made this for our family Thanksgiving dinner and it was delicious!