[il-talk] At large chapter notes

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Mon Dec 7 01:58:54 UTC 2009

Here are my notes from our at large chapter meeting tonight.  Thanks to all
who attended and especially to those who spoke.  See you next month.

Notes for at-large meeting 12/4/10 6:00 p.m.

Present"

Patti Gregory-Chang

Patrick Olsen

Carmen Dennis

Byron Lee

Leanne  Mayne

Melody Osbourne

Debbie Stein

Bill Reif

Kelly Doty

Mary Grunwald

Rick Parish

Patti Bissell

Laura Manon

Leslie Hamrick

Sharlene Elder

Nancy Daggett

Connie Davis

Initial announcements

Go to www.nfbofillinois.org

IL-Talk and IABS-TALK

FB was announced.

We played the Presidential Release with messages from Dr. Maurer.

Parents  - Debbie Stein reported on our past and upcoming parents seminar.
Next meeting 12/13  at 6:00 to talk about parents seminar.  Use code
"parent."

Scholarships - Debbie also updated us on our 2010 scholarship process.
Applications are due on 3/31/10.    Applications should be on the web page
soon.  Our internship program will also be running in 2010.

State legislation - Mary Lou and Bill reported on our proposed Braille
Competency testing Bill.  A letter has gone to Cullerton.

The bill requires recertification of teachers.

The bill also requires that publishers make electronic texts available in a
central depository.

Billl also reports that he is working on a custody bill which would disallow
blindness as a sole factor for making custody decisions and the like.

A  meeting  of this committee will be in January.

Rick Parrish and Patty Bissell want to be on state legislation.

Bill and Carmen reported on ISVI in response to a question from Melody.

Braille Literacy  - Kelly reported on the Braille Coin, BRAL, and our
Braille Literacy Campaign.

Connie on Newsletter

Connie asked people to work on articles.

Program and meeting ideas were floated as follows:

Agencies for the blind

Technology

Kernel Books

Internships Jana or Michelle

Laura Mannon or Bob Gardner to talk about centers.

Affiliate Action JoAnne Wilson

Warm Fuzzies

Byron Lee talked about his new job at Horizon's for the Blind.

We adjourned at 8:45 with 15 people still on the call.

Next meetings will be:

1/3 at 7:00

2/7/10 7:00

3/7 at 7:00