[il-talk] February Hawk Talk

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 00:38:59 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

February 2, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

mailto:rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Hi!  It's February - the shortest month with the busiest schedule.  Hopefully, the groundhog won't see his shadow - we don't need a LONGER winter!  We have Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Presidents' Day, and Valentine's Day (also Velma's birthday).  Busy, busy, busy!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Speaking of Valentine's Day, our meeting will be held on Saturday, February 14th. at 1:30, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.  Our program will be provided by Lois Montgomery.  Lois will have just returned from the NFB Washington (D.C.) Seminar and she will share her experiences. Learn about the issues which the participants focused on when they spoke to our legislators. Lois will also speak about mobility issues while she traveled around Capitol Hill. We look forward to sharing part of our Valentine's Day with you.

MEMBERSHIP

Some people have not paid their dues for 2009.  It's easy and fairly painless to join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership.  All you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to:  Kathy Abbott, 12819 148th Ave., Orion, IL 61273. Where else can you find such a BARGAIN!  Plan to join right away!!!!!

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

We discussed ideas for chapter meetings and events for our chapter in 2009.  Many good suggestions were made by those attending.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          February 6 - Patrick Olson

              9 - Don Carey

             13 - Donna Miles

             14 - Velma Anderson

             17 - Kathy Girkin and Josh Mitton

             28 - John Abbott

          March 9 - Kathy Abbott

             12 - Kathy Crooks

             25 - Nancy Gardner

             30 - Ruby Blanchard

UPCOMING EVENTS

March 12:  The NFB of Illinois will host a "Legislative Breakfast" in Springfield.  The purpose will be for NFBI members to talk to legislators about issues we consider important to the blind community.

March 30:  The Blackhawk Chapter will participate in an event at the Rock Island CIL to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille.  We will be demonstrating blindness tools and skills from 11 AM to 4 PM.

April 4:  The NFBI will hold a day-long Parents Seminar aimed at the parents of blind children.  The event will take place at the Holiday Inn O'Hare in Chicago.  Contact Bob Gardner for further details.

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Here is a recipe from Pat Olson for her mother's banana bread. This is the bread that she made for our last meeting. It was delicious!

Pat's Mother's Banana Bread

1 egg

1 c. sugar

¼ c. melted butter

3 mashed bananas

1 ½ c. flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

½ c. nuts (optional)

Beat egg.  Add sugar and butter.  Add bananas.  Add flour, soda, and baking powder, salt and nuts.

Bake at 375* for about 45 minutes.  Let cool and enjoy!