[il-talk] January Newsletter For Blackhawk Chapter

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 16:44:31 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

January 3, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

mailto:rngard1061 at mchsi.com

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!  May 2009 be a great year for you and for our Blackhawk Chapter.  We should be proud of the fact that 2009 will mark the second decade of the Blackhawk Chapter changing what it means to be blind in the Quad-Cities and the surrounding area.

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our meeting will be held on Saturday, January 10, at 1:30, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.  Our program will center around your ideas for making our chapter meetings more beneficial and interesting to you.  What speakers would you like to hear, what would you like to learn about, or what have you always wanted to learn to do?  What else would you like to do for chapter events?  Be thinking and come and share your ideas.

MEMBERSHIP

Some people have not paid their dues for 2009.  It's easy and fairly painless to join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership.  All you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to:  Kathy Abbott, 12819 148th Ave., Orion, IL 61273. Where else can you find such a BARGAIN!  Plan to join right away!!!!!

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Last month we had our annual Christmas party.  Thank you to everyone who helped to make the evening a success. We had lots of good food, fellowship, door prizes, music, and silent auction items. It was a wonderful night, and we had a packed room of 48 people attending.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

     January 12 - Alfonso Ayew-ew

     February 6 - Patrick Olson

              9 - Don Carey

             13 - Donna Miles

             14 - Velma Anderson

             17 - Kathy Girkin and Josh Mitton

             28 - John Abbott

UPCOMING EVENTS

January 15:  The first meeting of the new year for the ABLE (Access to Braille Literacy for Everyone) Group.  The ABLE Group will meet weekly on Thursdays at 2:30 PM at Black Hawk College.  The group promotes Braille by having group members read and write Braille.  Any Braille reader is invited to attend.  Also, anyone desiring to learn Braille can attend, and the group will start instruction.

February 14:  Besides being Valentines Day, this will be our February chapter meeting.  We will be back at our normal meeting place -- the South Moline Township Center in East Moline.

RECIPE CORNER

  HELP !!!!  I'm always looking for new recipes.  Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Here is a crock pot recipe from Pat Olson.  Thanks, Pat!  Sounds really good for a cold, wintery day.

Vegetable Beef Soup

  1 lb. beef shank, ribs etc.

  1-14 oz. can of tomatoes

  2 carrots, sliced

  2-3 stalks of celery, sliced

  2 medium onions, diced

  1-2 med. potatoes, pared and diced

  3 C. water

  4 whole peppercorns or ground pepper to taste

  3 beef bouillon cubes

  1 -  10 oz pkg. frozen mixed vegetables

      Put all ingredients in crock pot.   Cover and cook on low 12-24 hours ( high 4-6 hours). Enjoy!