[il-talk] NFBI Board meeting

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Tue Jul 28 12:23:31 UTC 2009

Sunday August 9th, 2009

Draft agenda

6:00 via conference call to 712 580 7700 using code 6324 Our draft agenda is
below. Please let me know what else needs to be on this agenda.

Secretary's report from 4/26 tabled on 5/27 Carmen Reminder e-mail sent
7/19.

Secretary's report from 5/27 Carmen Reminder sent 7/19.

Treasurer's Report Kelly

Need official 2nd quarter report

Items sold at convention - Debbie P.

How did we do?

Sorry Try again 9 money in hand Debbie P has 2 more,

I-Pod raffle

Candy

First Aid Kits

State Legislation Follow up -

Resolution on HR734 and S841

Vendors bill

Legislative event report from 3/12 tabled on 5/27 -e-mailed 6/27/09.

- Mary Lou and Bill

Legislative follow-ups Syed and Annette

11 in the House from Il on 734 and 1 senator S841

We have 6 on 886

How many more visits have we done?

Did my letter to Buris of 6/27 do any good?

Is it worth pursuing Sen. Burris at all?

Freedom Link Report Kelly

National Convention

Illinois totals 85 official.

We had at least one person in the wrong state and one which did not
register.

Mentoring - Ronza Cathy and Debbie

How did it go?

Tray Bradley was complimentary.

Key meetings attended highlights - e-mail sent out 6/27/09

7/3 " 9:00 - 10:00 pm­NFB AMBASSADORS COMMITTEE MEETING Greco Room, Level
4Ronza and Leanne

Sat 7/4 1:00 - 3:00 pm­WHAT'S NEW WITH NFB-NEWSLINE®
Cathy R and Dave .

Saturday 4:00 - 5:30 pm­MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR JERNIGAN INSTITUTE

Carmen and Leanne

Saturday 7/4
6:00 - 10:00 pm­NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS
Araceli, Casandra and Ronza

Saturday 6:00 - 7:30 pm­NEWSLETTER PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE
Carmen and Debbie S.

Saturday 8:00 White CaneCommittee
Cathy and Wilbert

Saturday
7:30 - 9:30 pm­MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
Bob Widman, Carmen and Leanne will go to this one.

Sunday
1:00 3:00 pm­"GRABBING HEADLINES FOR YOUR
AFFILIATE" SEMINAR­PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE
Denise Avant and Debbie P for sure

Sunday 3:15 - 4:45 pm­MEET THE BLIND MONTH ACTIVITIES
AND OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS SEMINAR: PLANS AND ACTION EQUAL SUCCESS
Araceli and Fashondra

Sun July 5, 7:00 to 9:00

Youth outreach seminar
Kelly and someone from Iabs.

Monday 7:00 - 9:00 pm­BRAILLE READERS ARE LEADERS: THE INITIATIVE FOR CHANGE
Kelly and Araceli will go.

Monday 7:00 - 9:00 pm­MOVING LEGISLATION ON THE STATE AND NATIONAL LEVEL
SEMINAR
Bill R. Syed and Annette.

Parent Leadership Program

Beth and Maureen Lamparis - e-mail sent 7/19.

Braille Literacy - Kelly

Chicago Children's Museum

Membership drive and follow ups -E-mail sent 6/27/09)

Howard or Patti

Chicago,

All Chicago #s were distributed at the drive or later.

Howard, Denise, Dave, and Debbie came in person.

Wilbert and Fashondra took names later.

The rest were forwarded to IABS for distribution.

Rockford - Carmen

At Large - Carmen

Blackhawk - Bob or Patrick

Kankakee???? E-mail sent to HW 7/19.

Four Rivers - Annette

Ferris Wheel - Bill

Parents Seminar Report - approval

Octoberfest - Joe or Patti

Old Business

These might be tabled for 8/29

State Convention 2009

speakers-

4:00 seminar on Friday ???

Human Right Comm confirmed

Governor's office Confirmed

Congressman Quigley WIP

student panel - WIP Michelle Maybe Linsey U Suggestions?

Dr. Nemeth Confirmed

Youth Slam kids

People we have advocated for? E-mail sent 7/19.

Agenda issues

invocation at banquet - who

George and Linda are mailing

Press Release, Bulletin and registration for convention as well as kids Kamp
are out

Kids Camp - Who will take charge of scheduling workers and planning

Inquiry e-mail sent to parents on 7/19.

State Convention 2010

Where are we with a contract and costs. Inquiry e-mail sent 7/19.

New Business

Meet the Blind Month Activities

2010 Planning

Spring Seminar - Student, Parent, or both.

Legislative Priority -

Braille Competency?

What about a custody bill like they have in Maryland

Washington Seminar - numbers etc.

Advocacy training. Cathy to let me know about grant prospects.

Next general board meeting

8/29 10:00 O'Hare Holiday Inn

Adjournment

Patti Gregory-Chang
President, National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
pattichang at att.net
www.nfbofillinois.org