[il-talk] Vending in Illinois

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:27:38 UTC 2009

For those interested in vending legislation in Illinois, see the below.  This was forwarded to me through connections with the State Rehab Council (SRC).

*****

The Final Step

By:  John Gordon

            Although it has been an uphill battle that has spanned approximately four years it is now nearing completion.  Several years ago Senator Michael Jacobs and State Representative Michael McAuliffe sponsored the Blind Vendor's Act.  Although we had great support in both the House and Senate, our Legislation died in committee.  The previous Governor had us remove much of our priority from the original Senate Bill.  Speaker of the House Michael Madigan put those items back in the Bill so it had to go back to the Senate for a concurrence vote.  As it made its first pit stop in the State Government Committee, it died.  In early 2009 Senate Bill 2045 was reintroduced by the same two sponsors, Senator Michael Jacobs and State Representative Michael McAuliffe.  We started with tremendous opposition coming from the Department of Corrections, the Department of Mental Health, and the Illinois Automated Merchandising Counsel.  Although all of the opponents were there for the first Senate sub-committee meeting, so were at least 40 of you.  I testified that day but it was the many of you who took time to attend and were listed as proponents of the Bill that made the big difference.  After that it passed through the senate with 59 "yes" votes and 1 "No" vote.   Now our Bill was to move on to the House with our opponents still nipping at our heals it was time to make concessions.  The following amendments were made to rid ourselves of our opposition.  We agreed to honor all current agreements with the Department of Mental Health and the Department of Developmental Disabilities.  In the case where we had no agreement, we would pay these agencies a commission rate of 10% on net sales.  The Department of Corrections wanted 30% commission on all visitor break rooms and 10% on all employee break rooms.  We agreed to these rates to be paid on net proceeds instead of on net sales.  We then defined "Net Proceeds" as "retail price minus sales tax, set aside and cost of goods."  Hopefully you understand what just took place.  Once again I went down and testified before a House sub-committee and it was passed out of there unanimously.  It then went for a vote in the House in which it passed 104 "yes" votes which was unanimous.  Due to the changes made in the House it now needed to go back to the Senate for a concurrence vote.  Within one week it made it back through committee and had a unanimous "yes" vote in the Senate.  Please let me thank all of you who took the time to contact your Legislator's or show up at the Capital for hearings.  Let me also thank all of you who have contributed financially to our lobbyist fund and insuring that our voice is heard in the State Capital.  We will now anxiously await the signature of Governor Pat Quinn which will confirm this as Law.  If you have contributed in some way, consider the fact that this Legislation could be providing economic independence for blind men and women long after we are all gone.  I have attached a letter that I have sent on to the Governors office.  I would encourage any of you who are willing to take the time to write a similar letter encouraging his signature on Senate Bill 2045. If you can, please copy me on any correspondence and thank you once again.  The mailing address can be found at the end of this document.

Governor Pat Quinn

Office of the Governor
207 State House
Springfield, IL 62706