[il-talk] saramago

Araceli Avina shortattit7 at aim.com
Fri Jun 12 04:11:58 UTC 2009

I apologize, but I fail to understand why the Movie "Blindness" is so
"cool" when it clearly portrays us blind people as useless, helpless,
and worthless, even to do the littlest things.  I love reading and this
is not even a book I desire to read it makes me so sick just from all
the descriptions.  You just said some very offensive words to a lot of
us on this list.  I agree with those who say you don't need to be on
this list with those kinds of thoughts in your mind.  This list has a
lot of people of various ethnic groups and various religions and
beliefs.  Other people on here are Muslims and thankfully they don't
harbor the same closeminded opinions you do.  As for saying the NFB is
a stupid organization, I personally resent this, and I'm sure that
others do as well.  The reason why I personally resent your statement
is because, were it not for the NFB, i would not have the friends i do
now and my self-esteem would probably be scraping the floor.  I have
never believed that being part of the NFB keeps you from being your own
person.  If you think that belonging to this organization is keeping
 from being your own person, maybe you should resign as an nfb member.
I am tired of people claming that they are independent thinkers and
that the nfb keeps them from being themselves.    You have also, i
believe, offended some very close friends of mine who have dedicated
their lives and times to this "stupid organization" as you call it, and
i don't take that lightly.  No one is going to tell me that I don't
think for myself just because I belong to an organization that gets
things done.  And weren't you the one who said earlier in these posts
that you had an NFB long white cane?  Did you get that cane on your own
because of your supposed devotion to the nfb, or did the nfb "make you
think on their terms and make" you get it?  I am dying of curiosity to
find this out.  Anyway, it's not worth going on a rant because of
people like you saying ignorant things.  I just felt that I had to say
something.  I don't often write to these lists, but this was very
disturbing.  All I've got to say is thanks to my friends in the NFB who
have really helped me out this past year.  I have been a proud member
since February of 2008.  You guys all know who you are and I thank you
for your support, the push in the right direction, and the sternness
when i've needed it.
Araceli Avina, Secretary
Illinois Association of Blind Students
ISVI Advisory Council Member