[il-talk] Hansen & Free Speech

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:59:26 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone

in an earlier message, Joe Monti brought up a  valid point about free speech and Il-Talk.  I replied to that message, expressing the view that Robert Hansen had gone over the bounds of acceptable free speech.

But I see now I missed an important point in my reply.  Removing Mr. Hansen from the list had nothing to do with his views about the book and movie, "Blindness."  In fact, his views on that subject were so immaterial to me, I forgot to mention that important point in my reply.  Mr. Hansen certainly had the freedom, as we all do, to express such opinions -- as long as it is done in a mature fashion.

I think that was Joe's real point -- but what hit me in Mr. Hansen's message was the lack of respect for others and the extremely obscene language.  Those two latter points were what was unacceptable, not political or religious views.

Bob