[il-talk] ISVI Teacher speaks out on behalf of the school

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Wed Jun 24 20:46:52 UTC 2009

The below appeared in today's State Journal-Register.  Recall that Dan
Thompson was presented an award at last year's NFBI Convention for his
teaching.

Bill

Teacher urges lawmakers to help keep school for visually impaired open

  a.. Photos

School for the Visually Impaired teacher, Dan Thompson, center, with the
help of his assistant, Robin Brown, reads from his note cards in Braille as
he shares his story of the importance of the school during a rally of human
services supporters, clients, and workers in a packed Illinois Statehouse to
urge lawmakers to pass an income tax increase in Springfield, Ill., Tuesday,
June 23, 2009. Justin L. Fowler/The State Journal-Register.

By ERIC NAING
THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER
Posted Jun 24, 2009 @ 12:00 AM
Last update Jun 24, 2009 @ 06:31 AM

Dan Thompson says the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired in
Jacksonville plays a special role in Illinois, as well as in his heart.

If ISVI is forced to close by state government's budget problems, Thompson
told thousands of protesters who descended upon the Capitol Tuesday, "it'll
be like turning back time on the all the progress blind people have made in
this state."

The school, founded in 1849, is a residential and day school for the
visually impaired operated by the Illinois Department of Human Services.
Gov. Pat Quinn has included ISVI among a list of programs he'll have to roll
back or eliminate if lawmakers don't provide more money soon.

Thompson teaches an assertive technology class at the school that helps
visually impaired students learn how to use devices that help them interact
with the world.

"I had a student who would never talk or touch anything," he said. "Now she's
touching everything, and her singing warms the coldest heart."

Thompson can personally attest to the important role ISVI plays in the lives
of the visually impaired. After leaving the school in 1972, he said he faced
abuse, discrimination and was frequently called a "retard" and an "idiot."
He even ended up homeless for a while.

"The thing that got me through all that were the skills I learned and the
confidence I got at the school," he said.

He fears all he could have left are fond memories.

"The cuts will close the doors of the school completely," said Thompson.

Without ISVI, Thompson said, visually impaired students will be forced to go
to public schools that already can't give them with the special services and
equipment they need.

"The kids will be isolated," he said.

Thompson and others like him are lobbying legislators to pass an income tax
increase.

"We pray that our wise leaders in the Capitol keep an open mind before they
pass judgment on the visually impaired people of Illinois," Thompson said.
"If they don't, we're going to be set back and kept away from the world -
just like we were before the school was founded."

Eric Naing can be reached at 782-3095.