[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter/March

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:08:10 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

March 2, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Hang on to your hats!  It's March. Spring MUST be just around the corner!  Come join us at our March chapter meeting and start your month out right!  You'll be glad you did!!!!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, March 14th. at 1:30, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.

Bob Gardner will demonstrate the "ID Mate," an electronic device which reads and verbalizes bar codes.  Using the ID Mate, a blind person can easily detect grocery items, music CDs, and all the myriad things which are marked with bar codes by the manufacturer.  Bob will also demonstrate the Humanware "Victor Stream."  The Victor Stream is a small electronic device which can read digital talking books.  The Victor Stream can also be used to play music CDs, record like a tape recorder, and even read files from your computer.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Our program was provided by Lois Montgomery.  Lois had just returned from the NFB Washington (D.C.) Seminar and she shared her experiences. She discussed the legislative issues presented to congressmen and senators, and talked about her mobility adventures around the city.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          March 9 - Kathy Abbott

             12 - Kathy Crooks

             25 - Nancy Gardner

             30 - Ruby Blanchard

          April 1 - George Sowers

MEMBERSHIP

To join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership, all you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to:  Kathy Abbott, 12819 148th Ave., Orion, IL 61273  Membership is open to all.  We encourage sighted family members to join our chapter and support their loved one.

UPCOMING EVENTS

March 30:  The Blackhawk Chapter will participate in an event at the Rock Island CIL to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille.  We will be demonstrating blindness tools and skills from 11 AM to 4 PM.

April 4:  The NFBI will hold a day-long Parents Seminar aimed at the parents of blind children.  The event will take place at the Holiday Inn O'Hare in Chicago.  Contact Bob Gardner for further details.

July 3-8:  NFB National Convention in Detroit.

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

SWISS CHICKEN CASSEROLE

1 pkg. Stove Top Stuffing, dry

1 small can of sliced mushrooms, drained(optional)

½ of medium onion, diced (optional)

4 - 4 ounce skinless chicken breasts

1 can reduced-fat cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup

½ to ¾ cup chicken broth

Spray crock pot with Pam.  Fill in order given.  Pour broth around the edges.  Cook on LOW for 8 hours or assemble in sprayed baking dish and bake for 1 hour.

Serves 4

7 points/serving for Weight Watchers