[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For May

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:30:57 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

May 1, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, May 9.  It will be a luncheon meeting, held at Bennigan's Restaurant at 2nd Avenue and 17th Street in downtown Rock Island.  For reference, that is in the Holiday Inn.  We will be ordering off the menu, and we will all go Dutch.  Plan on being at the restaurant by 11:45 AM so we can order our meals by noon.  You are welcome to invite a family member or friend to come with you.  We plan on having a special speaker, and we will keep chapter business to a minimum.

For those adventurous souls in our chapter, or those just interested in public transportation, we will again plan on a group-ride on the bus to Rock Island. Those interested in this travel experience should meet at the Moline bus terminal.  That is on 3rd Avenue west of 15th Street. We will catch the #10 West bus at 11:15 AM.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Our April meeting featured Leslie Cox from Trinity Health Care speaking on diabetes. Because diabetes is one of the leading causes of vision loss, and with Type 2 diabetes becoming more prevalent in our society, her talk was of great interest to all.  She spoke about the dangers of the disease, steps for prevention, and the need to identify and learn how to lessen its effects.

FUND RAISING

BIRDIES FOR CHARITY

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Blackhawk Chapter will participate in this great fund raiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledge donations we collect from this fund raiser -- plus a bonus (10%) from the Birdies for Charity Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie.  After the tournament (July 7-13), you'll be mailed an invoice of your pledge amount due.

AND . . .

Guess the number of birdies made by the Tour Pros during the tournament for your chance to win the grand prize, a 2009 Chevy Malibu Hybrid !  Other contest prizes include a John Deere riding mower, tickets to any AirTran destination, a John Deere walk-behind mower, a WaterPark car wash 26 week VIP package, and over 100 other great prizes!

SO . . .BE A BIRD . . . CHIP IN TO WIN!

 "Birdies" forms will be available at the chapter meeting. Those wanting additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. Please talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about "Chipping in for your Charity!"  This is our biggest fundraiser of the year.  Remember to fill out a pledge for yourself, too!

LOUIS BRAILLE COIN RAFFLE

In 2009, the U.S. Mint is issuing a commemorative Louis Braille silver dollar.  The coin, issued as a collector's item, celebrates the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, the inventor of the Braille code, the method used by the blind to read and write print copy.

An uncirculated Louis Braille silver dollar can be purchased for $33.95 by going to the website, www.usmint.gov.  $10 of that purchase price will go to the National Federation of the Blind to promote Braille literacy.

However, you have another option to obtain a Louis Braille commemorative silver Dollar.  Our chapter is raffling off one of the coins as a fundraiser.  One chance is $1 or 6 chances for $5.  The drawing will be held at our chapter picnic on June 13.  See Lois Montgomery to purchase chances.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          May 23 - Maida Navratil

              27 - Jana Hergert

         June 10 - Cindy Hines

              11 - Harold Palash

              12 - Pat Olson

MEMBERSHIP

To join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership, all you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to:  Kathy Abbott, 12819 148th Ave., Orion, IL 61273

UPCOMING EVENTS

June 13:  Again this year, we will have a potluck chapter meeting at the Gardner's in Hampton.  Once again, we will demonstrate the long white cane and even do some cane travel around the neighborhood.

July 3-8:  NFB National Convention in Detroit.  Please consider going to this great NFB event.  It's been said that this convention changes people's lives, and I believe it.  Contact Bob Gardner for more details.

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes. You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

OVER NIGHT CHICKEN CASSEROLE

7 oz Creamettes Macaroni     -  uncooked

2 cups shredded or cubed chicken (cooked)

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can cream of celery soup

½ cup of chicken broth

½  pound of Velveeta cheese, cubed

2 cups of milk

1 small onion, chopped

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased  9 x 13 baking pan or dish.    Cover and refrigerate over night.

Preheat oven to 350º.  Top casserole with 1 cup of cracker crumbs and drizzle 3 tablespoons of  melted butter or margarine over the top.  Bake for approx. 1 hour.