[il-talk] blind person in the loop

Robert Hansen roberthansen1970 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:53:02 UTC 2009

In regards to this burning question;

I am a vlind/visually impared individual who has dealt with being grabbed by
the arm quite frequently.  I do not know what the person grabbing me wants
to do.  I do not know if they are a pick pocket artist.  I do not know if
they want to "send me to my sudden death" as you put it.  I do not know if
this person is a psychotic or on drugs.  I do not know what this person
wants to do.  Technically that is in violation of my rights.  Nobody has the
right to put their hands on anybody.  That is called assault and the last
time I checked assault is a crime.  The individual who submitted this
question should have gone home or back to their place of work, Googled
blindness information and would have found many resources readily available
to read.  This person did the wrong thing by writing an uninformed person at
a newspaper that knows nothing about blindness.

There are two major organizations that deal with blindness issues and many
smaller ones as well.  The two major organizations are, the National
Federation of the Blind  http://www.nfb.org  and the American Council of the
Blind   http://www.acb.org .  Either of these organizations would have
offered answers to this "livid in the Loop's" questions.

I really think Livid and the person who wrote these pieces should really
attend a local chaper meeting of these two organization.  The National
Federation of the Blind Illinois, Chicago chapter meets every second
Saturday of the month at the ExChequer Pub located at 226 South Wabash Ave.
The meeting starts around 1pm.  Matter of fact, there is a meeting of the
NFBI Chicago chapter this Saturday.  Both of you should come.

One thing, we are NOT "jerks."  Please do not ever call us that.  Educate
yourselves.

Sincerely,

Not a Blind Jerek in Chicago, attending a local university.

have a nice day