[il-talk] veteran's day

JOSEPH MONTI jlmonti at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 11 22:10:19 UTC 2009

yes today we celebrate the annivaersary of the end of World War I. but what about all the other battles that are still being fought. and the NFBI needs you to carry on that fight. it would be nice if the fight was over. and blind people could get jobs like sighted people. could read anything they wanted in braille. could go to school and be educated. could not be pitied or thought of as something unhuman, abnormal, dumb.
i had anice education, a nice job, a familly and a fruitful retirment. but many other blind people can't say that.
WHY?????
i don't know. i didn't have an easy time with education. if you read my story in the Braille stories, my mothaer made it harder for me. she took away my braille and support. i had to do everything on my own.
today i stood in front of a 4rd grade class in Hinsdale and tried to answer their question about blindness. i couldn't answer all of them. i cna't even braille. i hoped that i answered some questions. these are the leaders of tomorrow. i toldd them how i knew how to type on the brailler writer and how easy it was with just its few keys. it makes me very sad that i have lost that ability. i see Patti and her Board work hard to get kids involved with reading and writing braille. and i am jealous because i can't. oh yes itried again.
in 1991 i spent 6 months relearning braille. but i failed at it. i haven't failed at many things in my life. but i did here with a capital F.
i am 72 and i know i never will regain any skills in braille. but i will continue to raise money so braille can be taught, and enjoyed.
joe monti