[il-talk] State Legislation Committee Conference Call

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 12 14:18:20 UTC 2009

Hello Fellow Committee Members,

We have been involved in a lot of important state Federation activities
since our successful March 12th legislative event, including a spectacular
State Convention, numerous Braille Literacy initiatives, and some important
outreach. It is now time for this Committee, and particularly for me as
Co-Chair, to re-focus on the important legislative work we began in March,
to take on other initiatives resolved at our recent convention, and to turn
our positive contacts and experiences into legislative success that will
change what it means to be blind in Illinois, particularly for blind
children.  Our main priority will be to assure that early next year, we have
legislators willing to sponsor and to cosponsor Braille teaching competency
legislation that requires those who teach blind/visually-impaired children
to periodically certify that they meet standards established by the National
Blindness Professional Certification Board.

I would like to call a meeting of the State Legislative Committee via
Conference Call for Tuesday evening, November 17 at 7:00.  We can discuss
some good ideas I learned from our National seminar on State Legislation,
and some efforts in which I was involved on behalf of the Blind Services
Planning Council.  (That council is still at the "meet-and-greet" stage, but
has some ideas on how to help supportive legislators to work with us in
bringing colleagues along.

We will also discuss efforts thus far to secure sponsorship of this and
other legislation.  Finally: We will discuss a strategy that assures that
important work, including legislative visits in Springfield and in local
offices throughout the state, can be coordinated among Committee Members.

We invite all with an interest in advancing our legislative agenda to attend
this Conference Call.  We will use the normal Conference Call number of
(712) 580-7700, and the Access Code NFBI (6324).

Thanks for your willingness to assist in this important work.  If you are
not currently on this Committee and would lie to be, please let me know.

Cordially,
Bill Reif, Legislative Co-Chair