[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For October

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 00:10:57 UTC 2009

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

October 3, 2009

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

October is here . . . already!  Are you ready for our next chapter meeting?  There won't be any TRICKS, but there will be lots of TREATS!  We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, October 17th. (Yes, that's the right date - we meet the third Saturday this month because of the State Convention), at 1:30 PM, at the South Moline Township Center - 637 17th Avenue in East Moline.

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our program will be a reading of an NFB Kernel book story, a story relating to blindness.  We will then discuss what the story means to us.  The meeting will conclude with elections of new chapter officers for the next year.  See below for more details about election of officers.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Last month, we were pleased to welcome Linda Gimble, a local woman who trains puppies to become guide dogs.  Linda and her husband, Tony, talked about how they train the puppies, their experiences, and answered questions about the dogs they train and the work that they do. This was a very interesting program and everyone enjoyed meeting Naulee, their current "puppy-in- training".

LOUIS BRAILLE COIN RAFFLE

In 2009, the U.S. Mint is issuing a commemorative Louis Braille silver dollar.  The coin, issued as a collector's item, celebrates the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, the inventor of the Braille code, the method used by the blind to read and write print copy.

An uncirculated Louis Braille silver dollar can be purchased for $33.95 by going to the website, www.usmint.gov.  $10 of that purchase price will go to the National Federation of the Blind to promote Braille literacy.

However, you have another option to obtain a Louis Braille commemorative silver dollar.  Our chapter is raffling off two of the coins as a fundraiser.  One chance costs $1 or, you can buy 6 chances for $5.

The drawing for the first coin was held at our swim party in July, and the winner was Kathy Abbott.  But you still have another chance!  The drawing for the second coin will be held at our Christmas Party.  See Lois Montgomery to purchase chances.

UPCOMING EVENTS

October 8:    The 2008 QC Low Vision Fair at                  Heritage Wesleyan Church - 9 AM to 3:30 PM.

October  9-11:  NFB of Illinois state convention in Chicago.  Please consider going to this great NFB event.  Contact Bob Gardner for more details, or go to the website, www.nfbofillinois.org.

October 17:  October Chapter Meeting

October 24:  Selling coupon books at Younker's.  Noon to 2 PM.  See below for more details.

December 12 - Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party & Dinner at Christ United Methodist Church located at 3801 7th. Street in East Moline. Please be at the church by 5:30 PM. Dinner will be served at 6:00 PM, and the party will end at approximately  8:30.  You must get your tickets in advance - the last day to get tickets will be December 1st. Tickets will be available at chapter meetings ($6 per person) or by calling Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. We will be having a "Silent Auction" again this year, so donations of homemade goodies would be greatly appreciated.  Please plan to come - guests are welcome. Come for an evening of fun, fellowship, and great food.

FUND RAISING

BIRDIES FOR CHARITY . . .

 Our top pledge-getter was Donna Miles!  Donna was presented with a Louis Braille commemorative silver dollar at our September meeting.  Way to go, Donna!!!!!!

 Remember to send in your pledge when you get it in the mail!

YOUNKER'S COMMUNITY DAY . . . Coming on November 14th. - Coupon books were given out at the September meeting and will be available again at our October meeting.  The books are $5.00 each - the Blackhawk Chapter gets to keep this total amount.  Please buy a booklet for yourself and ask your friends and family to participate - everyone will get their initial $5 back plus the savings they receive from the coupons, OR they can consider their $5 as a donation to the chapter.  We will also sell coupon books at the Younker's store in South Park on Saturday, October 24.

CHAPTER ELECTIONS

We will hold elections for all chapter officers at our October 17 meeting.  There are seven officers:  president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, and three board members.  The president and vice-president must be blind, and a majority of the officers must be blind.  To be nominated for an office, the person being nominated needs to be present at the meeting.  If you are interested in becoming an officer but are unable to attend the meeting, you should contact Bob Gardner to discuss the matter.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

   October    (There are no October birthdays.)

   November   5     Linda Jasper

25                                     Jay Miller

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes. You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Our recipe this month comes to us from Beth Fredrickson.  Sounds like a great treat for those chilly fall evenings!

BETH'S WORLD FAMOUS POTATO SOUP

about 3 pounds of potatoes, washed & chopped

1 pound of bacon, fry and crumble

1 large onion, chopped

1 - 8 oz. block of cream cheese

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 cans of chicken broth

Put all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.  Enjoy!