[il-talk] New Tools Aid Visually-impaired in Learning Math

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Wed Apr 7 19:02:12 UTC 2010

I found the below on the University of Illinois web site. The testing on
the usefulness of these sculptures will be interesting. This is
creative, even though I don't agree with every premise in the article.
Good job, Sheila.

cordially,
Bill Reif

New teaching tools aid visually impaired students in learning math
Photo by
L. Brian Stauffer
Senior Sheila Schneider, left, the first student who is legally blind to
major in
sculpture in the School of Art+Design, is creating a series of small
sculptures with
mathematical equations imprinted on them in Braille that will be used to
help children
with visual impairments learn mathematics. Deana McDonagh, a professor
of industrial
design, is the lead investigator on the project.
3/15/10 | Sharita Forrest, Arts Editor | 217-244-1072;
slforres at illinois.edu
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Mastering mathematics can be daunting for many
children, but researchers
have found that children with visual impairments face disproportionate
challenges
learning math, and by the time they reach the college level, they are
significantly
under-represented in science, technology, mathematics and engineering
disciplines.
Researchers at the University of Illinois are helping shape the futures
of children
with visual disabilities by creating innovative teaching tools that are
expected
to help the children learn mathematics more easily – and perhaps
multiply their career
opportunities when they reach adulthood.
Nearly 5 million – or one in 20 – preschool-aged children and about 12.1
million
children ages 6-17 have visual impairments, according to the Braille
Institute.
Sheila Schneider, who is a senior and the first student who is legally
blind to major
in sculpture in the
School of Art+Design
within the College of Fine and Applied Arts at Illinois, is creating a
series of
small sculptures with mathematical equations imprinted on them in
Braille that will
be used to help children with visual impairments learn mathematics. The
equations
will be written in Nemeth Code, a form of Braille used for mathematical
and scientific
symbols.
“The sculptures are organic forms that are designed to be hand-held by
children around
the ages of 7-10,” said Deana McDonagh, a professor of industrial design
and the
lead investigator on the project. “They’re designed from the viewpoint
of a younger
child.”
“They’re very engaging, fun educational tools, and when the children run
their hands
over them, they’ll realize that there are Braille equations embedded
within the forms,”
McDonagh said. “We’re hoping that they’ll become mainstream educational
tools.”
Traditionally, children with visual disabilities are taught to solve
mathematical
problems using abacuses, tools that may seem antiquated in today’s world
and foster
stigmatization, Schneider said.
“We’re trying to bring the education of visually impaired children more
up to date,
rather than relying on staid methods of doing things,” Schneider said.
“We’re hoping
to eliminate this idea that blind children have to learn math with an
abacus because
they can’t see to write on a piece of paper. We’re trying to eliminate
the stigma
and provide them with a method of engaging in and with math.
“We’re hoping that as they grow older, they’ll become more interested in
careers
in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields.”
Schneider sculpted six models, each a few inches in diameter, from cubes
of balsa
foam. The models are being translated into three-dimensional computer
images to finalize
the shapes and position the equations before the sculptures are cast
from bronze,
a durable material that can withstand extensive handling and
occasionally being dropped.
“Where you and I might place the Braille equations is of no
consequence,” McDonagh
said. “When children with visual impairments are handling the
sculptures, and reading
them with their fingertips, it’s got to make sense to them where we
place the Braille
in three-dimensional space.”
Once the sculptures have been cast, the next step will be to have
children with visual
impairments and their teachers use them in math instruction to assess
the sculptures’
efficacy as teaching tools.
“The number of people with disabilities is on the increase, and our
population and
its needs are changing,” said McDonagh, whose research and teaching
focuses on empathic
product design, assistive technologies and disability issues.”
“We’re trying to use people’s different life experiences and respect
that there are
different ways of doing things,” McDonagh said. “It’s an opportunity to
bridge the
gulf between the lived experience and science, mathematics and
technology through
sculpture.”
Renderings of the models will be displayed April 26-30 as components of
Schneider’s
graduate exhibition for her bachelor of fine arts degree, which she
expects to receive
at the end of the spring semester. The exhibition, which will be geared
toward people
with disabilities and will comprise stone sculptures and other pieces,
will be held
on the fourth floor of the Illini Media building, 512 E. Green St.,
Champaign.