[il-talk] Fw: Changing What it Means to be Blind

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sun Apr 11 23:29:56 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ameenah A. Ghoston" <ameenahg at gmail.com>
To: "Riccobono, Mark" <mriccobono at nfb.org>; "Fredric Schroeder"
<fschroeder at sks.com>; "allenp" <allenp at lcb-ruston.com>;
<pattisgregory at comcast.net>; "Sam Gleese" <samgleese at earthlink.net>;
"Stephen Handschu" <handschu at ameritech.net>; "Deborah Kent Stein"
<dkent5817 at worldnet.att.net>; "Amy Phelps" <aphelps at bism.org>; "nfbfairfax"
<john_bailey17 at hotmail.com>; <jwilson at nfb.org>; "Taylor, Anne"
<ataylor at nfb.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:46 PM
Subject: Changing What it Means to be Blind

Hello Fellow Federationists and Friends:

On April 30, 2010, I will be changing what it means to be blind, and
become the first blind graduate of the Advance Management Program from
National Defense University. The National Defense University is the
premier center for Joint Professional Military
Education (JPME) and is under the direction of the Chairman, Joint
Chiefs of Staff. The Advance Management Program is a 14-week
in-resident executive leadership program with an emphasis on
Information Resources Management. Upon completion, one has half of a
Masters degree and is certified as a Federal Chief Information
Officer, a certification that is recognized internationally, and
within the public and private sectors.
Similar to how our blindness training programs have become the gold
standard in the blindness field, so to is the Advance Management
Program for middle- and senior-level managers who exercise leadership
and carry responsibility
for promoting and attaining national security, agency, and
inter-agency goals through
the use of information and/or information technology.
I will confess that this program was very challenging, for it
stretched me in many ways. And even as I was going through the
program, there were many times whereby I wanted to quit. But I can
truly say that if it had not been for much prayer, and my experience
at the Louisiana Center for the Blind, I don’t believe that I would
have had the strength and confidence to pursue the Advance Management
Program, let alone complete it.
When I cross the stage independently using my long-white, NFB cane,
and receive my certification, I know that I will be accepting it on
behalf of those blind individuals who have come before me and
thereafter.
I give thanks to God for the skills and the confidence that I have
gained through the NFB, and the support of fellow federationists like
yourselves. In one form or another, I owe my success, in part to your
support and encouragement through out the years and so, this
accomplishment is just as much about you as it is about me.

Blessings!
-----

Ameenah A. Ghoston