[il-talk] ABLE Group is "Team of the Year"!

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 16:16:09 UTC 2010

Way to go Illinois team.

-----Original Message-----
From: il-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:il-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Gardner
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 10:15 AM
To: il-talk; Deb Endrizzi; Deb Smith; Beth & Kaitlyn Ryan; Katie Adams; Josh
Mitton; Kathy Abbott; Cheri Jirele; Nancy Gardner; John Statz; Lisa Stier;
Jo Ellen Riordan; John TeBockhorst; Shawna Moya; Judy Bingman; Dave Jirele;
Patrick Olson; Jay Miller; Alfonso Ayew-ew; Jana Hergert; Linda Jasper; Lois
Montgomery; Pat & Don Olson
Subject: [il-talk] ABLE Group is "Team of the Year"!

Hi Everyone

As you probably know, the ABLE (Access to Braille Literacy for Everyone)
Group was formed out of the Blackhawk Chapter a year and a half ago.  The
goal was to promote the reading and writing of Braille by meeting weekly to
do both reading and writing together.

Last fall, the NFB Braille Readers Are Leaders contest sponsored, for the
first time, an adult category -- and also a team category.  The ABLE Group
decided to enter the contest as a team, with five people on the team:  Bob
Gardner, Lois Montgomery, Jana Hergert, Patrick Olson, and Jean
Rauschenbach.  We set a team goal for the number of pages we would
collectively read, then went at it.

Along the way, Lois Montgomery won the nationwide award as the first place
reader in the Beginner adult category (80 words per minute or less), reading
around 3000 pages in the two months of the contest.  And of course, our
collective team goal of pages read far exceeded our original goal.

Then at the end of last week, I got a package in the mail.  When I opened
it, I found a plaque and some paperwork -- all that telling that the ABLE
Group had been selected as the "Team of the Year" award!  Wow, what a
surprise, and what an honor.

Once again, Illinois rocks!

Bob
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/il-talk_nfbnet.org/datemeyer%40sbcglob