[il-talk] Fw: World Sport Chicago scholarship

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Tue Aug 3 21:59:45 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Pamela Redding
To: 'Pam Redding'
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 2:47 PM
Subject: World Sport Chicago scholarship

I am pleased to announce the second year of the World Sport Chicago Scholarship!

This scholarship will award up to 56 Chicago high school student-athletes with Kaplan ACT tutoring and a Chicago Scholars mentoring program to help with the college admissions process.  Up to sixteen finalists will also receive a renewable college scholarship worth up to $10,000 annually (maximum of $40,000), supported by the MacArthur Foundation.  Last year, the 2010 Class of World Sport Chicago Scholars represented 15 Olympic sports, 27 Chicago high schools and all regions of the city.

Sadly, I could not identify a single athlete with a physical or visual disability that met the eligibility criteria last year.  This year, I hope that with your help, we can find eligible student-athletes involved in Paralympic sport to apply.  Students do not need to be elite caliber - just demonstrate a commitment to athletics, academics and the Paralympic values!

Eligible students are:

·         High school juniors (Class of 2012)

·         Live and attend school in Chicago

·         Have a 2.0 unweighted GPA or higher

·         Have participated in an eligible Olympic or Paralympic sport for two seasons in the last three years

·         Willing to fulfill the WSC Scholar duties

To learn  more about the scholarship and last year's recipients, visit wscscholars.org.  Applications are now available online - the deadline for all materials is November 15, 2010!

Please help World Sport Chicago spread the word by telling athletes, coaches, teachers and parents about this amazing opportunity!  If you or someone you know would like to be included in future emails featuring reminders and updates about the program, please email wscscholars at worldsportchicago.org.

I appreciate your support for this incredible opportunity for a Chicago student athlete with a disability to earn a college scholarship!

Pamela J. Redding

Director of Paralympic and Disability Sport

World Sport Chicago

200 East Randolph Street, 20th Floor

Chicago, IL  60601

(312) 861-4848 office