[il-talk] Fw: Career Day 2010 - seeking presenters & volunteers!

Connie Davis condav8950 at att.net
Mon Aug 30 18:36:50 UTC 2010

________________________________

From:Kelsey Thompson
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 12:03 PM
To: LIGHTHOUSE
Subject: Career Day 2010 - seeking presenters & volunteers!

I am currently seeking presenters for our 2010 Career Day event, which is a
half-day career exploration workshop for local high school students who are
blind or visually impaired.  Last year, Career Day brought almost 100 students,
teachers and parents to the Lighthouse for informative presentations and
networking.

This year, we are looking for presenters who would be interested in speaking to
small groups of students about a variety of topics, including job-readiness,
communication skills, self-advocacy, career exploration, college preparation,
assistive technology and leadership.  If you are interested in leading or
co-facilitating a session, please contact me ASAP with a short summary of your
proposed session.  Most presenters will be given about 45 minutes for their
session.  In the past, students have expressed a particular interest in the
following:
-         Learning about specific careers in which visually impaired adults are
successfully working, what they had to do to get there, what kind of technology
they use on the job, etc. with a particular emphasis on “different” jobs such as
careers in the arts, healthcare, science, labor and technology
-         Mock interviewing and preparing for job interviews
-         Advocacy and how to access adult services after high school

I also welcome anyone who is interested in otherwise volunteering for the event
to assist with registration, directing students to sessions and serving lunch.
Please contact me if you’d like to help us make this year’s Career Day a
success!  Also, please feel free to pass this information on to anyone else you
think may be interested in speaking.

I’ve attached a copy of our flyer and pasted the text below.  Career Day will be
taking place at The Chicago Lighthouse on Thursday, October 21 from 9:00am to
1:00pm.

Thanks!
Kelsey

Career Day Flyer:
Career Day 2010
Working Learning Leading Connecting Thriving

A career exploration and mentoring event for high school students who are blind
or visually impaired.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
9:00am to 1:00pm
At The Chicago Lighthouse
LUNCH PROVIDED!

RSVP to Kelsey Thompson at:
The Chicago Lighthouse
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL   60608
312-666-1331
Kelsey.thompson2chicagolighthouse.org

Kelsey Thompson
Intake | Scholarship Program | Youth Transition Services
The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road | Chicago , IL   60608
Web: www.thechicagolighthouse.org
Phone: 312-666-1331 ext. 3089
Fax: 312-243-8539