[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter -- Jan 2010

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:25:21 UTC 2010

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

January 3, 2010

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Happy New Year to all!  We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a great start to the New Year.  BRRRRRR is it ever COLD!  Start out the New Year right by coming to our January 9th chapter meeting.  We'll warm you up with interesting information, conversation, friendship, and tasty refreshments.  Come join us!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our meeting will be held on Saturday, January 9, at 1:30, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th Avenue in East Moline.

What's our program?  Picture a blind person, dependent on those sighted around them to

function in life.  Now picture that blind person learning skills and techniques, a blind person now able to function independently.  How does that transformation happen?  What is the single most important thing that will make that happen?  Come to our January meeting and find out.  Come and listen to a story of transformation, and join in a lively discussion of the topic.

MEMBERSHIP

Some people have not paid their dues for 2010.  It's easy and fairly painless to join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership.  All you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to:  Kathy Abbott, 12819 148th Ave., Orion, IL 61273. Where else can you find such a BARGAIN!  Plan to join right away!!!!!

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Last month we had our annual Christmas party.  Thank you to everyone who helped to make the evening a success. We had lots of good food, fellowship, door prizes, music, and silent auction items. It was a wonderful night, and we had a packed room of 50 people attending.

OUR ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PARTY

 The Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party & Dinner was held on Saturday, December 12th at Christ United Methodist Church.  We enjoyed a night of good fellowship and a great meal.

  We had some special guests (actually, you are ALL very special) join us for the evening.  Patti Chang, our state NFBI president, Francisco Chang, and their daughter, Julia, traveled from Chicago to be with us.  And, Harold Palish, who has the distinction of being our oldest chapter member, came from Galesburg to spend the evening with us. A big THANK YOU goes to Russ and Lois Montgomery for making it possible for Harold to celebrate with us.

  We had our usual silent auction of baked goods, and many door prizes. Special door prizes were donated by Joanne, Kathy Abbot's friend (crocheted afghan), Kathy Crooks (large fruit basket), Robert Fredrickson (hand-carved walking stick),and the Blackhawk Chapter (Louis Braille coin).  We also had a raffle for another Louis Braille coin.

 One of the highlights of our Christmas party was a special musical Holiday program featuring the Javaux Family String Quartet.

IN MEMORIAM

Chapter member, Velma Anderson, 80, of East Moline, died on December 17, 2009.  She is survived by a daughter, five grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and a sister.  Velma enjoyed coming to chapter meetings, our summer picnics, and she especially enjoyed the swim parties at the Montgomery's.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

         January 12   Alfonso Ayew-ew

         February  6   Patrick Olson

9                      Don Carey

13               Donna Miles

17               Kathy Girkin

28               John Abbott

UPCOMING EVENTS

  January 15:  The ONE YEAR anniversary of the first meeting of the ABLE (Access to Braille Literacy for Everyone) Group.  CONGRATULATIONS !  The meeting date and location for the first 2010 meeting will be announced soon.

 January 31- February 3:  Washington Seminar.  Members of the NFB will journey to Washington D.C. to discuss issues important to the NFB with their representatives in congress.  Nine people from the NFB of Illinois will attend, including two from the Blackhawk Chapter - Lois Montgomery and Bob Gardner.

RECIPE CORNER

  HELP !!!!  Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Our recipe this month comes from our youngest chapter member, Kaitlyn Ryan.  This sugar cookie recipe is a favorite of Kaitlyn and her Grandma Mary.  She said that they bake them all the time!  Thanks, Kaitlyn!

Sugar Cookies

1 cup of butter

1 cup of granulated sugar

1 cup of powdered sugar

1 cup of oil

2 eggs

2 tablespoons of vanilla

Cream all of the above and then add :

4 cups of flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 teaspoon baking soda

Blend well.  Cover and put in the refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes.

Note from Grandma Mary : We always double the recipe.

Note from Nancy : The recipe didn't say, but I imagine that you could roll out the dough and use cookie cutters or you could roll into balls (mounded teaspoonful) and place on baking sheet.  Sounds like it would make a large batch.