[il-talk] Carmen's Obit

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Sat Jan 30 05:54:41 UTC 2010

Hi Don and list,

The Webnews on Demand feature of NFB Newsline allows one to visit the web
and to review favorite papers or other publications, to scan by sections or
articles using headers, or to search for particular text within a paper.
For the benefit of those few not yet subscribed, I have pasted the text of
Carmen's obituary below.  Carmen: I am hopeful you will live on through the
example you have set for four family and for many in the blind community,
who will live more richly by exploring our possibilities and developing our
potential, all while enjoying life and our friendships.

Bill Reif

Dennis, Carmen (nee Sepeda), age 63, born in Joliet, IL on April 24, 1946,
residing
in Chicago, IL since 1965, she passed away at Swedish Covenant Hospital,
Chicago,
IL on January 24, 2010.
Survived by her husband, Eugene Charles "Charlie" Dennis, two daughters,
Penny Lynn
(nee McKay) (Mark, deceased) Laney, and Kristy Dawn Dennis, five sisters,
Kathryn
Gonzales, Angela (Anthony) Tamayo, Frances Garcia, Nickie (Pedro) Barbosa,
and Mary
Lou Carreno, all of Joliet, two brothers, Manuel (Rose) Sepeda Jr. of Lisle,
IL and
Alfonso (Anita) Sepeda of Joliet, IL, also survived by her grandchildren,
Becky and
Bobby Laney and Amanda and Bruce Nieznanski in Minnesota, numerous nephews,
nieces,
and cousins also survive. Carmen was preceded in death by her daughter,
Heidi, her
parents, Manuel Sepeda Sr. and Juana Mirelez, and her granddaughter, Christy
Laney.
She graduated in 1966 from Braille and Sight Savings School (now ISVI) in
Jacksonville,
IL and from the Light House of Chicago in 1968. Carmen worked for Visually
Handicapped
Managers of IL (now BEPB) for 30 years, retiring September of 2006. Lifetime
member
of the National Federation of the Blind. Funeral service will be on
Saturday, January
30, at 9:30 a.m. at the funeral home, then to St. John's the Baptist Church
for a
Mass of Christian Burial at 10:00 a.m. Interment will be at Mt. Olivet
Cemetery,
Joliet. Visitation will be on Friday, January 29 from 10:00 a.m. until 7:00
p.m.
at Tezak's Home to Celebrate Life , 1211 Plainfield Rd., Joliet, IL.
815-722-0524.
Published in Chicago Sun-Times on January 29, 2010 .