[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For November

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 00:50:08 UTC 2010

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

November 7, 2010

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Hello, everyone.  Stop raking those leaves and join your fellow Federationists at our monthly meeting on Saturday, November 13. It may be chilly outside, but the company and conversation will warm you up!  Plan to join us!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, November 13th. at 1:30 PM, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.

Our meeting this month will feature a discussion about grocery shopping.  Think about this:  you are blind and you need groceries.  You don't want to starve, so you need to figure out a method to get those groceries.  How would you do it?  What approaches have people in our chapter used to do grocery shopping in the past?  Come and listen, and join in with your solutions.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

We heard from those who attended our NFBI state convention in Springfield the weekend before.  All agreed it was a great convention with both interesting and informative moments.

We also had chapter elections.  The results were:  Bob Gardner, president; Patrick Olson, vice president; Lois Montgomery, treasurer; Donna Miles, secretary; Don Carey, board member; Jay Blanchard, board member; Kathy Abbott, board member.  Thanks to all who agreed to serve.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

           November

5      Linda Jasper Carey

25 Jay Miller

          December

                9 Loretta Beckwith

               18 Jay Blanchard

               23 Leah Slightom

UPCOMING EVENTS:

November 13 - Blackhawk Chapter meeting

November 13 - Younker's Community Day

December 11 - Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party & Dinner at Christ United Methodist Church located at 3801 7th. Street in East Moline. Please be at the church by 5:30 PM. Dinner will be served at 6:00 PM, and the party will end at approximately 8:30 PM.

You must get your tickets in advance - the last day to get tickets will be December 1st. Tickets will be available at chapter meetings ($6 per person) or by calling Lois Montgomery at 762-3414.

We will be having a "Silent Auction" again this year at our Christmas party, so donations of homemade goodies would be greatly appreciated.  Please plan to come - guests are welcome. Come for an evening of fun, fellowship, entertainment, and great food.

RECIPE CORNER

  HELP !!!!  Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

This is a recipe that I recently found in FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE.  Bob doesn't like sweet cornbread (I do.) so I thought maybe this was the cornbread recipe that we had been looking for.  It was!  Both of us like it!  It goes really well with a hot bowl of soup on a cool fall or winter day.

CAT CORA'S SOUTHERN CORNBREAD

(serves 4 to 6)

5 Tablespoons unsalted butter,

   (extra if buttering pan)

¾ cup all-purpose flour

¾ cup yellow cornmeal

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon kosher salt  (reg. salt works)

1 cup buttermilk (shake before measuring)

2 large eggs

1.      Preheat the oven to 425º and position a rack in the middle.  Spray or butter an 8-inch-square baking pan.

2.      Melt the butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish in three 15-second intervals on high or in a small pan on the stove.  Set it aside to cool.

3.      In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

4.      In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the eggs.  Add the melted butter.  Add the flour-cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined.  Pour the batter into the pan.  Bake until the cornbread just begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes.  Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.