[il-talk] FW: Fwd: [NFB of Nebraska Announce] Desire2Learn Attains National Federation of the Blind Nonvisual Accessibility Gold Level Web Certification

Robert A.Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 06:04:01 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: "Robert A. Hansen" <roberthansen1970 at gmail.com>
Sent: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:40:34 Pacific Daylight Time
To: "Robert A.Hansen" <roberthansen33 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: [NFB of Nebraska Announce] Desire2Learn Attains National Federation of the Blind Nonvisual Accessibility Gold Level Web Certification

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: 	[NFB of Nebraska Announce] Desire2Learn Attains National

Date: 	Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:13:55 -0500 (CDT)

From: 	NFB of Nebraska <info at ne.nfb.org>

To: 	roberthansen1970 at gmail.com

    Desire2Learn Attains National Federation of the Blind Nonvisual

    Accessibility Gold Level Web Certification

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

John McLeod

Director of Marketing

Desire2Learn

(519) 772-0325, ext. 378

PR at Desire2Learn.com <mailto:PR at Desire2Learn.com>

Desire2Learn Attains National Federation of the Blind Nonvisual

Accessibility Gold Level Web Certification

Baltimore, Maryland/ Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario/Anaheim, California

(October 12, 2010): The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), one of

the world?s leading advocates for Internet access by blind Americans,

and Desire2Learn Incorporated (Desire2Learn), a leading provider of

mission-critical enterprise eLearning solutions, announced today that

Desire2Learn has been awarded the Gold Level NFB-NVA Certification for

Desire2Learn® Learning Suite 9.1.

Working with members of the technology community, the NFB has developed

a rigorous evaluation and testing procedure by which Web sites and

applications that have made special efforts to be accessible to the

blind can be identified and recognized. Nonvisual accessibility (NVA)

certification, as defined in this process, means that screen access

software can obtain sufficient information from the Web application to

enable the blind user to:

Access information in narratives, databases, forms, charts, maps, and

essential information conveyed via graphical presentations without

visual assistance.

Complete transactions that have been identified as primary to the

application such as, but not limited to: buying merchandise, completing

forms, registering for activities, downloading information,

communicating with others, and participating in online educational programs.

Once the site or application has addressed all accessibility issues, it

is granted the right to display an NFB-NVA certification seal on its

site. Sites are continuously monitored to ensure that they remain

compliant with certification criteria. If a site remains accessible, its

certification is renewed on an annual or a version basis. Further

information on the NFB-NVA certification process can be found at

www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,

said: ?The National Federation of the Blind commends Desire2Learn for

ensuring equal access to its platform and demonstrating a tangible

commitment to equal education for everyone. If blind students are to

succeed in the modern education system, they must have access to the

same technology that is used by their sighted peers. Desire2Learn

incorporates that assurance in its platform.?

With this certification, institutions have external verification of the

Desire2Learn commitment to accessibility. Institutions with concern

ensuring legal obligations regarding accessibility are addressed within

the learning management system (LMS), can also reference this certification.

?We commend Desire2Learn for the extraordinary progress made in ensuring

the accessibility of its eLearning management application,? said Anne

Taylor, director of access technology for the NFB. ?We look forward to

continuing our collaboration with this forward-thinking company to

advance equal access to all aspects of online learning for the more than

100,000 blind students across North America.?

Desire2Learn regularly tests its products with individuals with

disabilities. These sessions aid in understanding and experiencing the

problems encountered. The resulting design solutions are often those

that would not have been found through accessibility checkers alone.

?We are thrilled to have been honored with this significant award from

the NFB and thank the access technology team for their assistance in

helping us obtain this important certification,? said John Baker,

President and CEO of Desire2Learn. ?At Desire2Learn we share our

clients? goal of providing equal and inclusive learning opportunities to

all individuals. We work closely with our clients to develop

comprehensive solutions that are flexible to the individual needs of

institutions, instructors and students. Accessibility is not a checklist

at Desire2Learn; it is a deep, long-standing and ongoing commitment to

empower and engage all individuals in their learning goals.?

Compliance and exceptions with state laws and international standards,

such as early adoption of ARIA markup, are reported openly so decision

makers and content creators have the information they need to work

effectively with their instructors and students.

Baker continued: ?Desire2Learn is appreciative of all opportunities to

learn from and work with such groups as the NFB. We look forward to

continuing to build a strong partnership with the NFB as we collaborate

to ensure we persist in our proactive approach to going well beyond

minimum standards. Desire2Learn?s attention to accessibility breaks down

barriers to education and improves human potential. It is an

organization-wide mandate to support accessible, inclusive education and

is a critical element in all our research and development efforts. We

are committed to ensuring we are the industry leader in this very

important field.?

Desire2Learn and NFB are providing a hands-on accessibility presentation

at EDUCAUSE on Wednesday, October 13 at 11:30 a.m. PT. Details of the

workshop can be found at www.desire2learn.com/educause

<http://www.desire2learn.com/educause>. Representatives from NFB, along

with Desire2Learn accessibility experts, will be available at the

Desire2Learn booth (#1525) at EDUCAUSE this week.

Visit www.Desire2Learn/Access <http://www.Desire2Learn/Access>, call

1.888.772.0325 or email Info at Desire2Learn.com

<mailto:Info at Desire2Learn.com> for further information about the ongoing

Desire2Learn commitment to address accessibility in all aspects of its

products and services. To learn more about the National Federation of

the Blind, please visit www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is

the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people

in the United States. The NFB improves blind people?s lives through

advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging

independence and self-confidence. It is the leading force in the

blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind. In January

2004, the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan

Institute, the first research and training center in the United States

for the blind led by the blind.

About Desire2Learn Incorporated

Desire2Learn Incorporated is a world-leading provider of enterprise

eLearning solutions that enable institutions and other organizations to

create teaching and learning environments that reflect their vision,

values, goals, pedagogical approaches and branding. Desire2Learn and its

subsidiaries support more than five million learners worldwide and

clients include higher education, K-12, as well as associations,

government and other leading organizations. Founded in 1999,

Desire2Learn is headquartered in Kitchener, ON, Canada with personnel

located in North America, the U.K. and Australia. For more information,

visit: www.Desire2Learn.com <http://www.Desire2Learn.com>, call

1.519.772.0325 or toll-free 1.888.772.0325 (within North America), +44

808.234.4235 (U.K. and Europe), 0.800.452.069 (New Zealand) and

1.800.656.210 (Australia).

Unsubscribe from this newsletter

<http://www.ne.nfb.org/newsletter/confirm/remove/4b5a379edc299t64>