[il-talk] FW: United Airlines Discriminates Blind Passengers

Robert A.Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 16:54:08 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: "Robert A. Hansen" <roberthansen1970 at gmail.com>
Sent: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:53:03 Pacific Daylight Time
To: "Robert A.Hansen" <roberthansen33 at yahoo.com>
Subject: United Airlines Discriminates Blind Passengers

    United Airlines Discriminates Against Blind Passengers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

Karla Gilbride

Staff Attorney

Disability Rights Advocates

(510) 665-8644 ext. 11 (Office)

(202) 631-2426 (Cell)

kgilbride at dralegal.org <mailto:kgilbride at dralegal.org>

United Airlines Discriminates Against Blind Passengers

National Federation of the Blind Files Suit Over Inaccessible Kiosks

San Francisco, California (October 25, 2010): The National Federation of

the Blind, the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people

and the leading advocate for accessible technology, and three blind

individuals---Michael Hingson, Mike May, and Tina Thomas---who reside in

California and frequently fly United, filed a class-action lawsuit today

in the United States District Court for the Northern District of

California against United Airlines. United uses airport kiosks that

employ touchscreen technology in a manner such that they cannot be used

by blind passengers. Passengers who are able to use the kiosks can

access information about flights, check in for flights, print tickets

and boarding passes, select seats, upgrade to United's business or first

class cabins, check baggage, and perform other transactions relevant to

their air travel plans. The suit alleges that United is violating the

California Disabled Persons Act and the Unruh Civil Rights Act because

the services it provides through these kiosks are not available to blind

passengers. United could easily add an audio interface, a tactile

keyboard, or interactive screen reader technology that works with

touchscreens to its kiosks, as other companies have done.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,

said: "The airline industry has an unfortunate history of discriminating

against blind passengers, and now United Airlines is repeating that

history by deploying inaccessible technology that we cannot use. United

is engaging in this blatant discrimination even though the technology to

make its kiosks accessible is readily available, has been deployed by

others, and will involve little cost to the company. Instead of enjoying

the features and convenience of these kiosks, including a quicker and

more convenient check-in process, blind passengers must wait in long

lines at the ticket counter, even when they have already purchased their

tickets and checked in online. We will not tolerate a separate and

unequal experience for blind passengers and demand that United cease its

discrimination against us as soon as practicable."

Michael Hingson, a blind motivational speaker and president and owner of

a technology sales company, said: "I have traveled throughout the United

States and the world for my public speaking engagements and as a

technology sales representative, yet I cannot independently check in at

the airport. It frustrates me, as a frequent traveler and United

passenger, that I must wait for a United employee to assist me with the

kiosk, seek help from a sighted passenger (in which case I must share

sensitive private information with a total stranger), or else stand in a

long line in order to complete the airport check-in process. I hope that

this lawsuit will serve as a wake-up call to United and that the airline

will swiftly make its kiosks accessible."

Mike May, CEO of the Sendero Group, a leading manufacturer of technology

for the blind, said: "I have been working in the adaptive technology

field for twenty years, and I know well that it is easy and practical

for United to make its kiosks accessible. There is simply no excuse for

the long wait and inconvenience that other blind United passengers and I

continue to experience at airports."

Tina Thomas, a member of the United States Paralympic Judo Team, said:

"I find it extremely ironic that United, which touts itself as the

official airline of the U.S. Paralympic Team, discriminates against me

as a member of that team and as a blind person. I sincerely hope that

United will make a more serious and tangible commitment to treating

passengers with disabilities equally."

Plaintiffs are represented in this matter by Daniel F. Goldstein and

Gregory P. Care of the Baltimore firm Brown, Goldstein, and Levy; and

Laurence W. Paradis, Karla Gilbride, and Kevin Knestrick of the Berkeley

firm Disability Rights Advocates.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is

the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people

in the United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through

advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging

independence and self-confidence. It is the leading force in the

blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind. In January

2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan

Institute, the first research and training center in the United States

for the blind led by the blind.

Unsubscribe from this newsletter

<http://www.ne.nfb.org/newsletter/confirm/remove/4b5a379edc299t64>