[il-talk] CTA RFP from Crain's

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Wed Sep 29 14:19:07 UTC 2010

  Hello Robert,

RFP is government speak for Request For Proposal.  In this case, the CTA
is inviting companies to submit bids on a system that will move fare
collection off the bus, thus decreasing boarding time.  These "proof of
payment" systems, as we already know with the pass dispensers in
Chicago, aren't accessible to blind people.  The CTA is proposing this
for Metra as well, which means you'll have to figure out a way of
telling the automated ticket or card dispenser how far you intend to
go.  If your ticket costs more than your cash on hand, you'll need to
give it a credit card.  That's not something I'm prepared to ask a
passer bye for help with.  You may still have the option of paying cash
on the bus; but it will cost you more.  The RFP needs to demand that
these systems be accessible, with testing and input from the blind
community.  These systems are the subject of a resolution passed at our
national convention, and will be the subject of testimony at the
upcoming Access Board hearing tomorrow.

Cordially,
Bill