[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For April

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 15:30:39 UTC 2011

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

April 1, 2011

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

It's April and spring has sprung!  It's a little bit rainy today, but I hope that you are enjoying the warmer weather that we have been having.  Don't forget to come to our next chapter meeting.  We're all looking forward to seeing you there.

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our meeting will be held on Saturday, April 9th, at 1:30PM, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th Avenue in East Moline.

The meeting will be led by chapter vice president, Patrick Olson, as chapter president, Bob Gardner will be on vacation.  The program for this month will feature Rhonda Erickson from the Illinois Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS).  Come, listen, and meet this popular guest speaker.

LAST MONTH'S MEETING

The meeting on March 12th was led by chapter board member, Don Carey.  The program featured a reading of an NFB Kernel book story concerning the low expectations expected of a blind college student by the administration and teachers within the college.  A discussion about the attitudes of both the college student, who refused to lower the expectations she had for herself, and the college were discussed by those attending the meeting.  Many thanks go out to Don for presiding over this meeting.

IN MEMORIAM

It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Blackhawk Chapter member, Loretta Beckwith.  Loretta died on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at Trinity Pathway Hospice, Bettendorf.

Loretta is survived by six children, ten grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

She was proceeded in death by her husband, two sons, a granddaughter, and her parents.

Time spent with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren brought special joy to her life.

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 14:  We will have our chapter meeting at Bennigan's Restaurant in downtown Rock Island. Plan to arrive at 11:30.  We will have lunch, everyone selecting their meal off the menu and paying for it themselves.  We will also have a short business meeting.  As in the past, those interested in practicing their mobility skills will catch the #10 West bus from Center Station in Moline at 11:15 and ride to Rock Island, then walk to the restaurant.

June 11:  We will have our annual potluck/picnic at the home of the Gardner's in Hampton.  As usual, besides great food and fellowship, we will talk about the long white cane used for mobility, and we will do some walking around beautiful, downtown Hampton.  And, maybe a special surprise this year.  How about playing baseball?  Yes, we might do that - play "string ball."  Stay tuned for further details.

July 3-8:  NFB National Convention in Orlando, Florida.  If you are interested in attending, contact Bob Gardner for further details.  You should make hotel reservations soon.

October 7-9:  State Convention in Rock Island, Illinois.  More info to come later.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

           April 1 - George Sowers

            May 27 - Jana Hergert

RECIPE CORNER

OVERNIGHT LETTUCE SALAD

(This would be a great salad to make for an Easter get-together.)

1 head of lettuce, chopped

1 small onion, diced

8-10 slices crisp bacon, crumbled

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup frozen peas

2 cups of Miracle Whip

½ cup of sugar

4 oz. shredded cheese

Layer lettuce, onion, bacon, celery, and then peas in a 9"x13" container.  Mix Miracle Whip and sugar. Spread over the lettuce mixture.  Sprinkle cheese over the top.  Cover and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy!