[il-talk] Blind Driver Challenge

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 06:22:47 UTC 2011

Thanks, George,

The BDC was a lot of fun, and it was such a pleasant surprise to look up
and see Linda waving at me and shouting my name as I walked past the NFB
Grand  Stand.  It was awesome hanging out with you at the pizza party as  well.

I got some fun pictures of the car, including one of those super model
poses where I'm leaning over the hood.  The NFB had a booth where people  could
change a tire with sleep shades on.  Some people did it in less than  30
seconds.  I heard someone say that anyone working in the pitt at a race
should be required to get training on how to change tires blind from us, as it'd
reduce the time cars have to spend off the track.

The unintended aspect of the BDC, I believe, was that people got to brush
up on their mobility skills.  The Daytona race track is 3.5 miles long, and
the fare grounds are in the center.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason
as to where anything is.  Our booth and grand stand were both in the Sprint
Fan Zone (opposite ends).  The problem was that there was a Sprint Fan
Deck, Sprint Fan Fair, Sprint Fan Patio, and on and on.  Then, pretty much
everyone who worked the event was driving an official car or golf cart  inside
the fare grounds, sharing space with the 35,000 race attendees who were  on
foot.  Many of the cars were actual race cars, which made using audio  cues
for mobility quite challenging.  Finally, none of the park staff  seemed to
know where anything was, especially the parking lot where our buses  and
cars were, our grand stand, our booth (though they all seemed to know where
our car was).  So we wandered around a lot.  Everyone had a story  about how
they got lost or misdirected, or just outright confused.  I'm  convinced when
we go to Orlando, we'll be able to go to Daytona and pick up
Federationists who are still wandering around the racetrack.

At any rate, it was a lot of fun, and it was incredible to witness such an
important moment in our organization's history.

Ronza

In a message dated 1/30/2011 11:01:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,