[il-talk] FW: [Nfbnet-master-list] Blind Man Drives Car Independently

Robert A.Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 21:24:54 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: "Freeh, Jessica" <JFreeh at nfb.org>
Sent: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:13:01 Pacific Standard Time
To: nfbnet-master-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-master-list] Blind Man Drives Car Independently

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

John G. Paré Jr.

Executive Director for Strategic Initiatives

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2218

(410) 917-1965 (Cell)

jpare at nfb.org

Blind Man Drives Car Independently

Avoids Dynamic Obstacles

Baltimore, Maryland (January 29, 2011): The

National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the

oldest and largest organization of blind people

in the nation, announced today that for the first

time a blind individual has driven a street

vehicle in public without the assistance of a

sighted person.  Mark Anthony Riccobono, a blind

executive who directs technology, research, and

education programs for the organization, was

behind the wheel of a Ford Escape hybrid equipped

with nonvisual technology and successfully

navigated 1.5 miles of the road course section of

the famed track at the Daytona International Speedway.

The historic demonstration was part of pre-race

activities leading up to the Rolex 24 At Daytona

this morning.  Mr. Riccobono not only

successfully navigated the several turns of the

road course but also avoided obstacles, some of

which were stationary and some of which were

thrown into his path at random from a van driving

in front of him.  Later he successfully passed

the van without collision.  The Ford Escape was

equipped with laser range-finding censors that

conveyed information to a computer inside the

vehicle, allowing it to create and constantly

update a three-dimensional map of the road

environment.  The computer sent directions to

vibrating gloves on the driver’s hands,

indicating which way to steer, and to a vibrating

strip on which he was seated, indicating when to speed up, slow down, or stop.

Mr. Riccobono said: “The NFB’s leadership in the

Blind Driver Challenge™ has taken something

almost everyone believed was an impossible dream

and turned it into reality.  It was thrilling for

me to be behind the wheel, but even more

thrilling to hear the cheers from my blind

brothers and sisters in the grandstands*—today

all of the members of the NFB helped drive us

forward*.  It is for them and for all blind

Americans that the National Federation of the

Blind undertook this project to show that blind

people can do anything that our sighted friends

and colleagues can do as long as we have access

to information through nonvisual means.  Today we

have demonstrated that truth to the nation and the world.”

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National

Federation of the Blind, said: “Just as our

colleague Mark Riccobono successfully surmounted

many obstacles on the Daytona course today, blind

people routinely surmount barriers by using

alternative techniques and technologies.  When

there is not a solution available, we muster our

resources and combine them with those of the

partners who make common cause with us to produce

the innovations necessary to create such a

solution.  That is how the NFB Blind Driver

Challenge™ came to happen, and that is how we

will make all of our dreams come true.”

The NFB Blind Driver Challenge™ is a research

project of the National Federation of the Blind

Jernigan Institute—the only research and training

facility on blindness operated by the blind.  The

Jernigan Institute challenged universities,

technology developers, and other interested

innovators to establish NFB Blind Driver

Challenge™ (BDC) teams, in collaboration with the

NFB, to build interface technologies that will

empower blind people to drive a car

independently.  The purpose of the NFB Blind

Driver Challenge™ is to stimulate the development

of nonvisual interface technology.  The Virginia

Tech/TORC NFB BDC team, under the direction of

Dr. Dennis Hong, director of the Robotics and

Mechanisms Laboratory at Virginia Tech., is the

only team that has accepted the challenge.  The

team uses the ByWire XGV™ developed by TORC

technologies as the research platform for the

development and testing of the nonvisual

interface technologies that allow a blind person to drive.

For more information about the NFB, please visit

www.nfb.org.  For our digital news release about

the Blind Driver Challenge™ and the debut of the

BDC car at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, including

audio and video clips for television and radio,

please visit www.DigitalNewsRelease.com/?q=NFB_CarKit.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National

Federation of the Blind is the largest and most

influential membership organization of blind

people in the United States.  The NFB improves

blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,

research, technology, and programs encouraging

independence and self-confidence.  It is the

leading force in the blindness field today and

the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004

the NFB opened the National Federation of the

Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and

training center in the United States for the blind led by