[il-talk] Blind Driver Challenge

George Villa gvilla at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jan 31 04:56:27 UTC 2011

Hello All

Linda and I spent two exciting days with the NFB in Daytona.  The meeting on
Friday night was filled with anticipation.   It felt like a pep rally and
really fired up the NFB members in attendance.  The speakers left us with a
feeling of confidence and expectations for the coming day's history making
event.  For the first time a blind person would enter a car as a driver and
not a passenger.  A blind person would be in control of a car.  Mark
Ricobono, the driver, would control the speed of the vehicle, make turns and
avoid objects.   Just think how that would feel.  At the end of the evening
we were all given purple and white shirts to wear on Saturday.
Saturday morning busses were lined up to take us to the race track.  As many
years that Linda and I have been coming to Daytona we had never been to the
track.  So this was a first for us.
A lot of behind the scenes work was done between the NFB and the track
management and it showed.  A seating area was reserved for us as a group.
Feelings ran high.  NFB members were singing and dancing as we waited for
the Blind Drivers Challenge to begin.  Excitement filled the air.  As the
beginning of the drive came near Kevin Worley made an announcement from the
audio booth and cheers went up.  Kevin did a great job keeping us informed
of each and every step of the race.   We were told each step of the way as
Mark was handed the keys, as he started the vehicle, and then the drive
began.  It seemed like a life time, but then there he was turning the corner
right in front of us.  The excitement as he passed the NFB grandstand was
electrifying.   After the drive we went to the media center.   It was
standing room only.  We heard from Dr. Mark Mauer, Kevin Worley, one of the
technicians from Virginia tech, and of course our driver Mark Ricobono.
Many other people spoke and worked hard to make this event possible I'm sure
I left out some important names.  The rest of the afternoon was spent at the
track.  We met NFB members from around the country, sampled some great chili
from the chili cook off and enjoyed the great weather.
Saturday evening we shared more NFB fellowship at a pizza party with all in
attendance.   We were at tables for ten at the pizza party and who happened
to sit next to us, Chicago Chapter member Ronza Othman.  We had a nice visit
with her.  Everyone was abuzz from the day's history making event.
Saturday's events proved with technology, appropriate training and education
the blind are capable of many things.  We can expand our productivity and
participation in society.   It was a great day for the NFB and blind people
as a whole.
I have attached pictures from Saturday's events.   There are pictures of the
excited crowd in the grandstands, speakers, and of course the car driven by
to get up close to the vehicle and took pictures of the outside and the
inside of the car.  Engineers from Virginia tech were on hand and I was able
to ask questions about the car.  In one of the pictures I am holding one of
the control gloves that is used to control the vehicle.  The gloves seemed
like an ordinary pair of work gloves but has an extraordinary system
attached to it.  A second picture is of the car seat, again an ordinary
looking seat pad with unbelievable technology behind it.  Another picture
shows a computer in the rear hatch of the vehicle.  This computer controls
the sensors that enable the blind to interpret the input that goes into the
gloves and seat.  There is even a shot of fellow chapter member Steve
Hastalis in the grandstand.  Unfortunately the crowd and area was so big we
never caught site of Steve again. There are even a few shots of Linda and
me.