[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For June

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:35:55 UTC 2011

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

June 1, 2011

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

We will meet on Saturday, June 11, at 1:30PM, at the Gardners' home at 106 First Avenue in Hampton, Illinois. A Blackhawk Chapter board meeting will be held at 1PM prior to our regular meeting. This will be an open board meeting, and all chapter members are welcome to give their views on the issues.

Our regular meeting will start around 1:30 PM.  This month, as we meet at the Gardner's along the Mississippi, we will talk about mobility using the long white cane.  We will have some simple training lessons and plenty of extra canes.    After the meeting, we'll have an early supper - meat, beverages, and tableware will be provided.  If you would like to bring a side dish to share, that would be great. We should have a good time eating, visiting, watching the bikers go by, and enjoying the boats, geese, and pelicans out on the river. Feel free to invite a friend to come with you. We hope you will be able to come. And, maybe a special surprise this year. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather, but we will meet as planned at the Gardners', rain or shine.

  We may also give those attending a chance to play "string ball," the equivalent of baseball for the blind.

For those planning to come to Hampton and the picnic on the bus, call Bob for specific directions and times.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

We gathered last on May 14th at Bennigan's Restaurant in Rock Island for our annual luncheon meeting.  28 people were in attendance, with 6 chapter members riding the MetroLink bus to Rock Island from Moline to practice their mobility skills. Guests included Linda Gimble and her husband, and their puppy-in-training, 11 month old Canyon. We had a shortened meeting, a great lunch, and lots of lively conversation. A great time was had by all!!!

       IT'S TIME FOR BIRDIES FOR CHARITY

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Blackhawk Chapter will participate in this great fund raiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledged donations we collect from this fund raiser -- plus a bonus (10%) from the Birdies for Charity Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie. After the tournament (July 4-10), you'll be mailed an invoice of your pledge amount due.

AND . . .

Guess the number of birdies made by the Tour Pros during the tournament for your chance to win the grand prize, a 2011 Chevy Camaro ! Other contest prizes include a John Deere riding mower, two round trip tickets, courtesy of Allegiant Travel Company, a John Deere walk-behind lawn mower, a WaterPark car wash 26 week VIP package, and over 100 other great prizes!

SO . . . BE A BIRD . . . CHIP IN TO WIN!

"Birdies" forms will be available at the chapter meeting. Those wanting additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. Please talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about "Chipping in for your Charity!" This is our biggest fundraiser of the year. Remember to fill out a pledge for yourself, too!

                     AND . . .

There will be a prize given to the person who collects the highest number of pledges, and to the person who collects pledges with the highest $value.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

             June 10 - Cindy Hines

                  11 - Harold Palash

                  12 - Pat Olson

              July 6 - Cheri Jirele

                  12 - Beth Dolieslager

                  25 - Mary Randolph

                  31 - John Tebockhorst

           August 15 - John Statz

                  25 - Joanne Lasley

                  31 - Jo Ellen Riordan

UPCOMING EVENTS

July 3-8:  NFB National Convention in Orlando, Florida.

July ??/August ??  Possible group outing and/or annual swim party.  More details later.

October 7-9:  NFB of Illinois State Convention in Rock Island.  More info to come later.

December 10: Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party at Christ United Methodist Church in East Moline.  Save this date!

PLEASE NOTE

There will be no Chapter meetings or mailings of Hawk Talk during the months of July and August. We will keep you informed of special activities during those months.

RECIPE CORNER

The recipes this month are provided by John Tebockhorst.  They sound like winners!  Thank you, John.  Note: I included both recipes because they sounded like they were meant to go together - just add a vegetable, and you are all set for a delicious dinner.

John's BBQ Meatloaf

 Ingredients :

2 lbs. 85% lean ground beef or ground turkey (I use ground turkey)

2 cups quick oats

1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix

2 eggs

1 cup BBQ sauce

Method :

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.) Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

3.)  Combine meat, quick oats, onion soup mix and   eggs together in large bowl.

4.)  Place in baking dish and cover with foil.

5.) Bake for 50 minutes.

6.) Remove from oven, remove foil and cover with BBQ sauce, recover with foil and bake for additional 10 minutes.

Cheesy Cheddar Potatoes

 Ingredients :

1 - 32 oz. bag hash browns

2 - 32 oz package of sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup parmesan cheese

1 onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 cup Miracle Whip

Method :

1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2.) Combine all ingredients in large bowl.

3.) Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

4.) Place mixed ingredients into baking dish and        cover with foil.

5.) Bake for 45 minutes.