[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter: May 2011

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:26:43 UTC 2011

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

May 4, 2011

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Hello!  It's May and we have been having some nicer weather - the grass is green and growing, the birds are chirping, and the daffodils and tulips are blooming. It must be SPRING !  Plan to spend a nice spring day with all of us at the May 14th. chapter meeting at Bennigan's Restaurant.  See you there!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, May 14.  It will be a luncheon meeting, held at Bennigan's Restaurant at 2nd Avenue and 17th Street in downtown Rock Island.  For reference, that is in the Holiday Inn.  We will be ordering off the menu, and everyone will be paying for their own meal.  Plan on being at the restaurant by 11:30 AM so we can order our meals by noon.  You are welcome to invite a family member or friend to come with you.  We will have a short business meeting.

   As in the past, those interested in practicing their mobility skills will catch the #10 West bus from Center Station in Moline at 11:15 and ride to Rock Island, then walk several blocks to the restaurant.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Last month's meeting was led by chapter vice president, Patrick Olson. The program featured Rhonda Erickson from the Illinois Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS).  Bob Gardner, who was on vacation, thanks Patrick for his leadership at that meeting.

FUND RAISING

IT'S TIME FOR BIRDIES FOR CHARITY

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Blackhawk Chapter will participate in this great fund raiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledged donations we collect from this fund raiser -- plus a bonus (10%) from the Birdies for Charity Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie.  After the tournament (July 4-10), you'll be mailed an invoice of your pledge amount due.

AND . . .

Guess the number of birdies made by the Tour Pros during the tournament for your chance to win the grand prize, a 2011 Chevy Camaro !  Other contest prizes include a John Deere riding mower, two round trip tickets, courtesy of Allegiant Travel Company, a John Deere walk-behind lawn mower, a WaterPark car wash 26 week VIP package, and over 100 other great prizes!

SO . . . BE A BIRD . . . CHIP IN TO WIN!

 "Birdies" forms will be available at the chapter meeting. Those wanting additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. Please talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about "Chipping in for your Charity!"  This is our biggest fundraiser of the year.  Remember to fill out a pledge for yourself, too!

                     AND . . .

There will be a prize given to the person who collects the highest number of pledges, and to the person who collects pledges with the highest $value.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          May 27 - Jana Hergert

         June 10 - Cindy Hines

              11 - Harold Palash

              12 - Pat Olson

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 26:  Senior & Low Vision Fair at the i wireless Center, 1201 River Drive, Moline, IL from 9:30-3PM.  If you would like to volunteer to help with this, contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414.

June 11:  We will have our annual potluck/picnic at the home of the Gardner's in Hampton. Bring a dish to share - meat will be provided. As usual, besides great food and fellowship, we will talk about the long white cane used for mobility, and we will do some walking around beautiful, downtown Hampton.  And, maybe a special surprise this year.  How about playing baseball?  Yes, we might do that - play "string ball."  Stay tuned for further details.

July 3-8:  NFB National Convention in Orlando, Florida.  If you are interested in attending, contact Bob Gardner for further details.

October 7-9:  State Convention in Rock Island, Illinois.  More info to come later.

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes. You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Pastor Carol's Bean Salad

Marinade :

1 ½ teaspoons salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

½ cup vegetable oil

½ cup water

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 ½ cups granulated sugar

Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved.  Cool.

Add :

1 can peas, drained

1 can corn, drained

1 can green beans, drained

4 stalks celery, diced

1 green pepper, diced

1 can kidney beans, rinse and drain

Refrigerate salad for 24 hours.  Drain off marinade before serving.