[il-talk] Chicago minutes october 2011

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 2 15:28:43 UTC 2011

NFBI Chicago Chapter
October 15, 2011
Exchequer Pub and Restaurant
226 S. Wabash, Chicago

CALL TO ORDER

Chicago Chapter President David Meyer called the meeting to order at 1:03
P.M.  Twenty-eight people were in attendance, including Andrew Webb, who has
just moved to Chicago from California.

PROGRAM

Greg Rosenberg gave an interesting and informative presentation about
emergency preparedness, focusing on issues especially relevant to people
with special needs.  Everyone should have plans in place, such as knowing
what hazards may occur and how to get to emergency shelter.  Natural
disasters are actually much more likely than terrorism.  Right now FEMA has
no materials in alternative formats.  Greg promised to post a complete
emergency list on the IL-Talk listserv.  An audio recording will also be
posted.

SECRETARY's REPORT

The minutes from the Chicago Chapter meeting of September 10, 2011, were
approved as posted.

TREASURER's REPORT

In the absence of Treasurer Steve Hastalis, Dave Meyer read the quarterly
treasurer's report.  The report covered the third quarter for 2011--July,
August, and September.  On July 1, 2011, the chapter had an opening balance
of $4,381.01.  We had income of $4,067.99, including $936 for spring candy,
$550 for fall candy, $1,310 for tickets on the Van Galder bus to convention,
and $990 for Sox tickets.  Expenses came to $4,322.50, which included $150
in PAC contributions, $946.25 for the charter bus, $380 in rental charges to
Exchequer, convention scholarships $450, and fall candy $1,450.  The ending
balance for September 30 was $4,126.50.  The treasurer's report was
accepted.

PRESIDENT's REPORT

NFB President Marc Maurer reported that Parnell Diggs has announced that he
is running for Congress.  The NFB is holding an online auction called Bid
for Excellence.  Hosted on eBay, it will begin on November 1 and end on
December 5.  We all need to spread the word.  October is Meet the Blind
Month, and news of events should be sent to Melissa Kobelinski.  The NFB is
hosting a teacher leader seminar for teachers of blind children January
27-29, 2012.  For information, contact Emily Gibbs at egibbs at nfb.org.  The
new Amazon Kindle is inaccessible to blind people.  There is a brand-new
sign on the roof of the national headquarters building.  We are developing a
new outreach program to blinded veterans around the country.

STATE REPORT

NFBI President Patti Chang was serving as a national rep in Rhode Island, so
Dave Meyer gave her state report.  More than 100 people were registered for
the 2011 NFBI convention.  Patti extended her thanks to all who made the
convention possible.  During the banquet Patti got a note from Mark
Riccobono, congratulating us on our streaming.  Several attendees shared
their thoughts about the convention experience, including Dale Sczwek, Greg
Rosenberg, Bart Hickey, Ryan Kwaak, Liz Bottner, and Gina Falvo.  Mary Lou
Grunwald thanked Liz and the students for pitching in when Kelly Doty could
not attend convention.  Liz has agreed to chair the Braille Literacy
Committee.  Pledges for Fifteen for Funds can be mailed to Treasurer Glenn
Moore at P.O.  Box 1065, Elgin, IL 60121.  His phone number is 847-899-9801.

Dave Meyer expressed from all of us our deep appreciation for the work that
Kelly Doty has done for the affiliate and the chapter over the years, and
our wishes for her recovery.  Because Kelly has had to step down from her
position as second vice president, we will hold some elections in November.
Patti Chang has agreed to run for the position of second vice president, and
Howard Wilson will run for Patti's board seat.  Anyone else is welcome to
run for either of these positions.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Fundraising: Ken Staley explained that Games Night will be held on November
5 at Exchequer from 5 to 9 P.M.  Tickets are on sale for $25 apiece.
Auction Appeal letters will be available next month so we can solicit items
for the December auction.

Membership Committee: Dave explained that work is being done to revamp the
fan-out list.  In the meantime people need to keep making their calls.

NEW BUSINESS

Bruce Paul invited anyone with an interest in web accessibility to talk to
him.  He is working with the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities,
and they are trying to make sure that their site is accessible.  Two bus
shelters now have speech, one at Adams and Canal and one at Belmont and the
Inner Drive.  If you have comments, send them to Bruce at
bruce.c.paul at gmail.com.  Hap Holly announced that Horizons for the Blind
will hold an open house on Tuesday, October 18.  The new address is 125
Erick St., Suite A-103, in Crystal Lake.

ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 2:48 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Stein, Secretary