[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For October

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 13:04:17 UTC 2011

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

October 6, 2011

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Time to get out those sweatshirts, jackets, and sweaters ! It is going to be getting chilly outside. But, it will be nice and cozy at the South Moline Township Center for our next chapter meeting. Get the date marked on your calendar and make plans to join us - you'll be glad you did!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, October 15th, at 1:30 PM, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th Avenue in East Moline.  Our meeting date is one week later than usual because of the NFB of Illinois State Convention.

Our program this month will feature a quick review of our experiences at the NFB of Illinois State Convention that was held in Rock Island last weekend.  Bob Gardner will then introduce a new monthly feature, "The NFB Corner."   This month's topic will be "Expectations."

We will also hold elections for all chapter officers at this meeting.  There are seven officers:  president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, and three board members.  The president and vice-president must be blind, and a majority of the officers must be blind.  To be nominated for an office, the person being nominated needs to be present at the meeting.  If you are interested in becoming an officer but are unable to attend the meeting, you should contact Bob Gardner to discuss the matter.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

      October - 10  Beth Fredrickson

26      Mark Clayburne

     November -  5 Linda Jasper Carey

                25 Jay Miller

FUND RAISING

You should have received your BIRDIES FOR CHARITY pledges in the mail.  Please send in your pledge as this is our largest fund raising event of the year.  The money received from Birdies for Charity, for example, makes it possible to have our Christmas Party in December with only a minimal charge to attendees.

  YOUNKER'S COMMUNITY DAYS . . . Coming on November 11-12th. - Coupon books were given out at the September meeting and will be available again at our October meeting.

Pat Olson has requested that people bring the money they've collected in selling Community Days booklets to our October meeting.  Also, please bring in any unsold booklets.

The books are $5.00 each - the Blackhawk Chapter gets to keep this total amount.  Please buy a booklet(s) for yourself and ask your friends and family to participate - everyone will get their initial $5 back(there's a $10 coupon in the booklet) plus the savings they receive from the coupons, OR they can consider their $5 as a donation to the chapter.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

October 15:  Audio described performance at Circa '21.  Circa will be presenting "The Marvelous Wonderettes".  The price is $33.96 - this includes an audio described discount.  The sensory seminar begins at 4:30 pm, the buffet is from 6-7, preshow at 7:15, and the show at 7:45pm.

   If you are interested, call Circa '21 at 309-786-7733, ext. 2, and let them know you are wanting to make reservations for the audio described performance.

November 12:  November chapter meeting

December 10: Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party & Dinner at Christ United Methodist Church located at 3801 7th Street in East Moline. Please be at the church by 5:30 PM. Dinner will be served at 6:00 PM, and the party will end at approximately  8:30.  You must get your tickets in advance - the last day to get tickets will be December 1st. Tickets will be available at chapter meetings ($6 per person) or by calling Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. We will be having a "Silent Auction" again this year, so donations of homemade goodies would be greatly appreciated.  December 10th. sounds like it should be a long ways ahead, but it is only 2 months away!  Please plan to come - guests are welcome. Come for an evening of fun, fellowship, and great food.

RECIPE CORNER

  HELP !!!!  Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

This recipe comes from Bob Gardner.  Thanks, Bob!

Clam Chowder Casserole

The taste of New England clam chowder is in every last bite of this comforting main-dish casserole. Creamy, hearty and filled with the tastes of the seashore, it's a quick and easy weeknight meal they'll really enjoy!  Serves: 4

Ingredients:

1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
2 (10-3/4-ounce) cans condensed New England clam chowder
1 (6-1/2-ounce) can minced clams, drained
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Half teaspoon black pepper
1 cup oyster crackers
1 tablespoon butter

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking
dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions; drain then return macaroni to cooking pot.
3. Add the cheese, clam chowder, clams, scallions, and pepper to the macaroni; mix well. Pour into the baking dish, sprinkle evenly with
the crackers, and drizzle with the melted butter.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly and the topping is golden.

Preparation Tip:
     For added color and flavor, mix in half of a diced red bell pepper along with the chowder and other ingredients.