[il-talk] Fw: Pace Moving Forward: October 14, 2011

Robert A Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 16:26:28 UTC 2011

------Original Message------
From: Govt Affairs
To: Govt Affairs
Subject: Pace Moving Forward: October 14, 2011
Sent: Oct 14, 2011 3:52 PM

Thank you,
Pace External Relations

+ + + + +

Pace Moving Forward
Volume 8, Issue 20
October 14, 2011

Budget Released for Public Comment
Earlier this week, the Pace Board of Directors officially released the agency's proposed 2012 budget to the public for review and comment. The budget, as announced last month, is balanced and does not call for fare increases or service reductions.
Multiple service restructuring projects, administrative belt-tightening, and aggressive efforts to improve advertising revenue contributed to the positive budget forecast. In addition, Pace has new service planned, including the implementation of Call-n-Ride routes in the Geneva/St. Charles and Wheaton/Winfield areas, expanded service on I-55 Express routes (which begin Bus On Shoulder operations next month) and a route linking the south and northwest suburbs.
"People may be less inclined to attend the public hearings based on the fact that it contains no fare increases or service reductions," said Pace Chairman of the Board Richard Kwasneski. "However, we always encourage people to participate so they can learn more about Pace and also provide us with their ideas on how we can improve and serve the public better."
A list of public hearings, the budget booklet and brochure, a link to video of a budget presentation and information on how to comment via e-mail or post for those unable to attend a hearing are available at pacebus.com.

Pace Honors Million Miler Awardees
Twenty Five Pace bus operators have received Million Miler awards for their commitment to safe driving and excellent service. The annual award, a program of the National Safety Council, recognizes professional drivers who have gone 12 and one-half years without a preventable accident, estimated to be equivalent to one million miles.
"Bus operators have a hard job and often face difficult situations, but these men and women have proven their ability over time to provide outstanding safety and service to customers," said Pace Chairman Richard Kwasneski.
Twenty operators received Million Miler awards, and five others received Two Million Miler awards for reaching 25 years without a preventable accident. Combined, all 25 drivers have 525 years of experience with Pace. The safe driving mileage for which they've been honored totals over 30 million miles- sufficient to circle the Earth more than 1,200 times at the Equator.
A total of 513 Pace drivers have achieved Million Mile status or higher, with 196 of them still active.

Pace Receives Federal Grant Funds
Pace has received $5.075 million from the U.S. Department of Transportation for important facility upgrades, part of a package of more than $51 million that came to Illinois transit agencies including the CTA and Rock Island Mass Transit District.
"We're very grateful to our congressional delegation, particularly Senator Durbin, for ensuring that Pace and other Illinois transit agencies can make important capital upgrades," said Pace Chairman Richard Kwasneski.
Pace will use the funds to replace obsolete emergency generators at its garage facilities through the State of Good Repair Program. The generators are essential to maintain power at facilities during outages so that emergency communications and dispatching systems can remain operational.
The generators to be replaced are as much as 26 years old.

The newsletter for stakeholders of America's most efficient suburban transit agency www.pacebus.com Customer Relations: (847) 364-7223 Copyright 2011, Pace Suburban Bus