[il-talk] FCC Reinstates Video Description Programming

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Thu Sep 15 21:11:28 UTC 2011

That is good news, as far as it goes.  However, the phrase "and when
that technical capability is not
being used for another purpose related to the programming" is quite a
loophole.  Many stations stick Spanish in their SAP channel.  I'm not
sure how that is done since the digital conversion.  I hope the FCC is
supportive of past NFB resolutions requiring the audio captioning of
emergency broadcast information that's not otherwise made available to
us, or of "the phone number on your screen" that we can't access.  I
wonder how many of us can even turn on the audio captioning through our
TV, cable box, or satellite converter.

Cordially,
Bill