[il-talk] An IL-Talk question

GlennMooreIII at yahoo.com GlennMooreIII at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 23:23:07 UTC 2012

Hi Carl, I appologize for not responding soonerlori be honest, I lost your email in the shuffle, I too sometimes have a little trouble with lots of emails.

So you had asked about an email you received from me that talked about the Braille Examiner, which is the NFB of Illinois' newsletter.
You actually didn't get that email from me to you, I posted it onto Il-Talk, which is NFB of IL's listserve. It is meant for any blind, visually impaired, or, I suppose, sighted people who want to talk about blindness issues in a group or open forum.
We are, I think, all blind members and it is statewide.
A person can send an email (or response to an email by clicking reply) to il-talk and that message will be delivered to everyone who subscribes to il-talk.
It's a practical, inexpensive, and accessible way for a large and spread out group of blind people to communicate about important issues for the blind.
I know sometimes it seems like a lot of emails, but you can have it all reduced to about one email a day if you opt to get the emails as a digest)
The benefit of having everyone get these messages is everyone is in the loop when there is a topic that could impact our lives, like anticipating how we will conduct our lives or business with a new technology, travel freely with a new change in infrastructure, or planning our futures, knowing what services or protection of our rights we can expect etc. And if a person has a question they can't find a solution for, this is maybe the largest group of blindness experts (illinoi's blind citizenry) available, including you, to help with a solution. And by the way,  you said you are 10/60 in one eye and have NLP in the other, so you have a unique experience with blindness that even a teacher of the visually impaired or a public servant working in Blind Services may not fully understand. I think your input and your voice on how things should be done matters too, and this group benefits from your being a part of it.
I hope that answer wasn't too long, Carl. And I hope you get a lot of use out of our list-serve, and get to know the other people who use it.

Feel free to email me or call if you want to know more about il-talk or the National Federation of the Blind

-Glenn III
NFBI State Treasurer
Gmoore3rd at gmail.com
(from iPhone: 1 (847) 899-9801)