[il-talk] Janice Gurvey

Linda Bloodsaw lbloodsaw2018 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 22:38:46 UTC 2012

No Janice could not do anything without training in:
Mobility and proper cane use
Techniques of cooking safely and measuring things
Using a computer with screen reading devices
Learning Braille
And all the other little things that go along with learning how to adapt, such as sewing, marking the microwave and appliances with dots, and how to keep your socks together for the wash.

i am a relatively new blind person (January 2009), so I had to learn these things to remain independent.

I wonder why it seems no one recommended training for her.  I think Illinois has a couple blind training centers.  Anyway at least the ophthalmologist should have known that.  Lastly, to lose your vision suddenly is traumatic and paralyzing.  I met two men at Michigan's training center for the blind.  One lost his vision due to hypertension and stayed in bed for one year before his friend told him time was over for moping and it was time to get one with living.  The other man was just angry for a long time.  After a while he realized he needed toget on with his life.