[il-talk] Legally Blind Contestant Stops Short of Miss Florida USA Title

Andrew Webb awebb2168 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:47:09 UTC 2012

While she is to be lauded for her accomplishments, I find the tone of this
story to be rather troubling.  She certainly seems to be availing herself of
the sighted public's perception of blind people as "inspirational" simply by
virtue of achieving goals in spite of blindness.  Yet one wonders the extent
to which she embraces her own identity as a proud and independent blind
person.  No cane, it's cute when I trip or walk into something, bless her
sweet heart for even trying, etc.  Evidently not a Braill e reader either,
as she has her tests read to her.  Too bad that she is presented (and
perhaps presents herself) as more extraordinary due to her blindness, rather
than as an extraordinarily accomplished (and evidently beautiful) young
woman, who happens to be blind.  And, if she did use a cane onstage, I have
to wonder if the judges would have been disposed to advance her as far in
the competition as they did; she might very reasonably have thought her best
bet was not to distinguish herself too much from the other contestants by
virtue of carrying a cane.

Oh well, she's just 18;  she might yet embrace the adaptive techniques with
a bit more time.

My two cents.

Andrew