[il-talk] voice recognition and grammar "correction"?

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Sat Jun 9 12:54:39 UTC 2012

Hello List,

Here's an interesting case of what happens when machines believe they
know how better to say what we intended than we do.  Jemal has replied
to an email via a voice recognition service through the telephone, a
great solution for those on the go who aren't sitting at a computer.
Jemal's voice and meaning were quite clear to anyone who listened to the
attached .wav file.  Unfortunately, his email service took issue with
the way his sentence was put together, and misdirected "tell me" to read
as "you told me".  It's a good thing there are attachments with the
actual voice file, which attachments even make it to the list.  Just
know that Jemal normally makes more sense than the text of some of his
messages would indicate.  In his case, there's probably no good way to
edit them over the phone.  Those who use programs such as Dragon Dictate
can have similar things happen, and need to edit the output.

Cordially,
Bill